Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case dilema????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coopdog, Jun 25, 2006.

1. coopdog

coopdog Registered Member

I have a 1972 chevy p/u (turbo 350/np203)....I want to convert to a part time four wheel drive set-up....do I...

1. Buy the np203 part time conversion kit and rebuild my np203....how much work would this be (hours)....can I do it myself.

2. Buy a new np205 or np208 and install...will everything line up (front drive shaft, linkage lever, will the rear drive shaft be too short)?

Thanks for the advise in advance!

S/F

Coopdog [​IMG]

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Check out the article on the part-time installation under "Product Reviews". It's a simple process and most people should be able to do it. I installed a full shaft part-time kit in mine and it has held up without any problems. I think it took around 1.5 hours and I didn't need to worry about different driveshaft lengths or anything else associated with a case swap.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah i think id recommend the part time swap as well.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I converted my '79 Sub from a 203 to a 208. Partly b/c I didn't want to lift that HEAVY 203 back up in there & the trans had to come out for a rebuild, and partly b/c the 208 has a lower low range even if it is not as robust of a t/c.

The front drive shaft worked as is. I had to get a new rear made b/c of the slip-yoke vs. flanged output. I also had to modify the transfercase strut.

On the trans itself (a TH400) I had to track down the correct trans output shaft for a 208. The 203 output shaft was different, I think the same spline but was too long, but do not quote me on that.

So whether to swap depends on your goals for the truck. It's lot more work to swap than to install the part time kit.
    BTW, there are cheep P-T kits and more spendy P-T kits. Don't go with the cheep one. They put too much thrust on a tiny needle thrust bearing in there and eventually that bearing gives up. You'll know when that's happened b/c you'll hear something that sounds a bit like a bell being wrung by a spinning gear. My Sub came with the cheep P-T kit installed. Guess how I know about that noise?

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I find it strange you have a 203 in a '72 model year truck. 203's didn't start until the following year of '73 along with the body change.
    Almost sounds like someone swapped the 203 into your '72 and kept the original 205 for themselves.

6. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Honestly, I would do a swap. I did TONS of research before making my decision, and my 203 had too many problems to justify keeping it. I went with a 205, and did a fixed yoke swap onto it. Cut my front driveshaft, and bought a new rear (cause the slip yoke on my original d shaft was toast). All in all i spent around $500 or so, and havent looked back!