Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case drop questions. . .

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Mar 7, 2004.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

ok, so i have been told by several people that i should drop my transfer case 1". i just finished installing a 4" lift and i am getting a little bit of driveline issues. ie vibration. so. . .
    will doing this put more strain or stress or somehow negatively effect my transmission and or engine?
    is this a really simple thing to do?
    how do you adjust the linkage after the t-case has been dropped?

this might be a really noob question but this is my dd and i want to know exactly what i am getting into before i do this. can anybody give me some really detailed instructions? and pics are always cool too.

thanks
    sean /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i lifted the k5 6" and did not drop the tcase. I even am using the stock driveshaft(203t). Is the pinion angle ok? Can you shim instead? Or did you shim...btw...saw your post over on Nor Cal site, those guys don't know anything, good thing you came here for info /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

(of course I am trying to join them /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)

3. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Sean, i lifted my K5 this summer and at the same time dropped my case 1", and i've had no problems so far. And it is a VERY simple thing to do. If you look at your transfer case crossmember where it bolts to the frame rails, there are i believe 2 bolts each side, with about 1" thick spacers/washers or whatever you want to call them on each bolt above the frame. You simply take them from the top and use them as your spacer under the frame, and your good to go. oh and make sure you support the case. And i didnt have to adjust any linkages, works just as good as before. Good luck, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Best thing to do is get you an angle finder and see what your angles are. I can't remember off the top of my head how many degrees are acceptable, maybe someone else can help you out with that.

I have 6" front BDS springs and an Echobit flip and I had to drop the t-case an 1" and run a rear cv slip yoke d-shaft. I've had it dropped for almost a year now without problems and all my driving is highway at high speeds.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I did a 4 inch lift with shackle flip and had some vibrations with stock shaft. After trial and error I took the easy way out and put a cv shaft in. Way more expensive than I wanted (credit helps) . I dont know how you did your lift , but my flip lined my pinion ( 2wd 12 bolt ) straight at transfercase . I would of lowered my transfercase but felt like leaving everything tucked up.

6. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

sweet. thanks for the replies. i did a 4" lift with the echobit flip. i would like to leave everything tucked up in there, but i guess 1" isn't that much. so i have to attempt this drop. wish me luck.
    sean