Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Drop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ike, Sep 30, 2005.

1. ike

ike Registered Member

I have a 76 Blazer thats getting a 4'' lift....Do I need.....Or should I get a transfer case drop ? Who makes a good kit ? Is the transfercase drop the same for a 203 to 205? I have a 203 but am thinking about changing it out,,,Should that be done first? is there anything eles I need or should get ..like driveline lengthened ? I was reading in another post about "must have stuff"...it listed the steering box brace and to lube your hood ect....Then It said somthing about struts on the crossmember ??? a support or something???
    thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

4" lift generally does not require a drop. But if you're front suspension is very flexy (i.e. not a typical store bought 4" lift kit) then you might need to clearance your CV a little.

If your 203 is in good shape, I would say just run it, maybe with a part time kit. It's not my favorite case, but if was in good shape, I wouldn't go to the trouble of swapping it unless I had a drop in donor (including shafts) that I prefered. Then, if you get more serious, you've already got a start on a "doubler" which is a HUGE improvement.

I think the "strut" your talking about is the support for the tcase. Some came with a support bracket on the front drive side to tie it to the frame rail (205s only I think?). Some also had a support "strut" going forward from the front drive side to the bell housing. And still others (called K-Cases) had struts from a heavier cast aluminum converter cover up to the motor mounts to help prevent broken bell housings. But as far as I know, you're 203 has no support struts on the tcase. Someone else that knows the model breaks better than I will have to answer that one.

3. ike

ike Registered Member

a "doubler" which is a HUGE improvement.

I'll need to look into a doubler set up...wher can I get one and how much $$$ lol...I think thats a type of aftermarket transfercase right? Ill need to go to a local shop and or read about them...Im new to all this but want to build the truck right the 1st time...Thanks for all the info

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's not really needed for a typical "trail rig", more of a hard core mod and a bit expensive. Check out ORD (they have a forum here) for their doubler, and the vendor section here lists some others as well. Basically, it stacks a 203 range box and a 205 so you can get compound low of (roughly) 4:1 instead of (roughly) 2:1. Not cheap, but VERY nice for rock crawlers.