Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Drop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightythreegmc, Feb 6, 2004.

1. eightythreegmc

eightythreegmc Registered Member

I am putting a 4" roughcountry lift on my 83. I was just wondering how much should i drop the transfer case? and should i get the driveshafts extended or will they be ok in stock form? Great Site. I will be a member as soon as i find another job(layoff) and have some flow again. Peace.

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

if you have the long bolts with the spacers on them holding up your crossmember (the spacer will be on top of your frame rale with the bolt going through it) make sure you use grade 8 bolts and put the spacers on the bottom and this will drop the cross member and tc a little. But do you have a slip or solid yoke?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You might need to lower your t-case member 1". Buy the kit, don't use the factory spacers like I did because it will crack the frame.

I would guess that your shafts should be fine. Mine were with 6" and 1/2 axles.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Buy the kit, don't use the factory spacers like I did because it will crack the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had this problem, and I have some HP going to the ground. Could you please give some more detail on this?

Thanks,
    John

5. the cowboy

the cowboy Registered Member

I just put the very same kit on my 89 in dec. I was able to run the drivelines just fine, and I also took the 3 degree wedges out of the rear springs (56"). However, the front crossover pipe was big time in the way of the front driveline /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Went to dual exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Also, download the instructions off the web. There weren't any in the kit.
    I had a good experience with them, too. Would definetly reccomend them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. eightythreegmc

eightythreegmc Registered Member

Ok. Thanks for the information guys. Yeah i was planning on the dual exhaust anyway. But is it ok to swap the spacers underneath or should i buy the "kit", or how about steel blocks with holes drilled in them or something? I see two different opinions on this so im not sure? i like the cost of the one-free, but if its gonna crack my frame i will put the money into a kit. Thanks again for the info.

7. the cowboy

the cowboy Registered Member

I just swapped the spacers under, and 1200 miles later no problem yet. I suspect that that cracked frame may have had something to do with that "pumped 406 smallblock". I'll keep an eye on mine.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I just swapped the spacers under, and 1200 miles later no problem yet. I suspect that that cracked frame may have had something to do with that "pumped 406 smallblock". I'll keep an eye on mine.

[/ QUOTE ] It cracked the frame long before the 406 was installed, back when I had a boring stock 350. It depends on how you do it I guess. I just stuck the spacers between the frame and xmember without washers or anything. A few months later I noticed it was cracked when it was on the rack at the exhaust shop. I took 2 pieces of thick flatbar and laid one on the top of the bottom frame lip on both sides, drilled out the 2 holes through the flatbar, put some big body washers against the frame and x member, and bolted it back up. I did this about 2 years ago or so and haven't had anymore probs, even with the "pumped 406 smallblock." /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

My frane was cracked on one side before I welded it up ..I have the stock smog block still... I stuck the factory spacers in to try it out and the distrubitor is really close to the firewall [Might hit on torquing]. I will be useing smaller spacers and doing something like rifg's got going on .. This sounds like something somebody could make in production ans sell on CK-5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Just use the spacers to check and see if that solves the problem. Then if it does, get the kit. I agree though, that the spacers are not sufficient. Personally I would like to have more of a contact patch between the crossmember and frame....