Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case dropdown brackets?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 4, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Has anyone installed these? They sell them through 4WPW for next to nothing and it seems like it may be my ticket to stop the front driveshaft from binding.
    Is it a good idea? I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this so it makes me wonder.
    If it matters, I have sm465/np205 in a shortbed truck.
    -- Mike

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Your post doesn't say how much you want to drop your t case, but I went to Ace hardware and bought 1" steel sleeves for 67 cents apiece. You could even stack washers.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Most stock trucks already have those sleeves, but they're on the topside. Most people that want a 1" drop in their t-case, just put the sleeves between the frame and crossmember. Then it looks like jimmyjack's pic.

HTH

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I just completed this swap yesterday. I did a 4" lift 2 weeks ago. After everthing was finished I had a slight vibration or noise when I would back off the throttle at speed. I made this conversion and all is quiet.

Anybody know why GM put those spacers there in the first place?

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I can't sat 100%, but if you want a guess I'd say to make it easyer to reach crossmember the bolts after the exhust pipes are installed. My truck only had them on the driver's side, where the "Y" pipe curves around. Because I only had two, I used some 1" thick alum. spacers about 1.5" around. They have worked great so far but I still want to swap to a fixed output and get rid of them.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com