Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case e brake

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Im making a brake for my transfercase, because cadillac stuff cost tooo much. so i have a few questions. I kept looking at jesse's (highangle) and jp but im poor. it took about five minutes to find those calipers for sale on the net. I was concerned about them holding on a steep incline. I went to the upull it and found 17 diffrent models of cars that had rear disc and ebrakes. I made a list but forgot it at home. I think I have about decided on the maxima, because its small and compact. I plan on taking out the rear yolk and modifying the rotor to bolt up with lunger ujoint straps. and then fabbing the bracket. as long as its balanced i dont see a prob.

1. do brake calipers rely om brake fluid for lubrication. specifically if i plug the line will it still work or just dry up and cease? iirc grease messes up calipers for some reason so i cant just grease em.

2. What is the largest size rotor I can run wothout having a body lift? I figure 6" the xfer is out right now and i didnt want to rehang it for this measurement.

3. Can someone with a dial caliper measure the mounting holes for the ujoint straps. I just eyeballed it but before I go massacare a new rotor I wann make sure its right.

Im gonna try to get this done before I shipout again next month so we'll see. Ill put pics up once im out of the drawing up stage.

thanks

69K5

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

"Sorry, no posts asking for help recreating an off-the-shelf product are allowed in the CoG... "

sorry i must have missed that in the rules??????

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No big deal. It's an extrapolation from the "commonly available" point and is specifically addressed in the "moderator viewpoints" thread where I tried to clarify the charter. The charter really needs updating with clarifications transferred from the "view points" thread, but it's one of those things that's not much fun, and dedicating a couple of hours to do it has not made my "do it" cut yet.

In any case, being moved out of there is not a “don’t do this again or else” kind of deal. It’s just an effort by me to keep things very focused and to avoid the “do not do” items (to the best of my interpretation).

Good luck.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

no prob. i look up the veiwpoints thread for future ref.

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1FNHIK5 did something similar a while back...IIRC he used some porscha calipers and rotor (had them laying around /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif). I think he sold the K5 and hasen't been around but maybe you could find his email from some old posts (looks like you can search way back if you just leave the # of months blank) and ask him for some pics.

I don't think not having fluid in a caliper would be a bad thing as long as no water gets in there.

I have the HAD one. It will hold on about as steep a hill with the trans in N as the tires will hold. Because it uses the reduction of the diff's it has alot of holding power.

One small STUPID thing...NP made the 205 so that none of the bolt holes in the tailshaft housing bolt pattern have the same distance appart. Figure where you want to "clock" the caliper before you make the mount!!!

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

One small STUPID thing...NP made the 205 so that none of the bolt holes in the tailshaft housing bolt pattern have the same distance appart. Figure where you want to "clock" the caliper before you make the mount!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

im glad you mentioned that. i would have measured to bolts and use that for centers. im gonna clock it at 3 or 9 oclock.

thanks again

69k5

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

what size rotor did you use?