Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Gasket Part #

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by monte0172, Apr 25, 2003.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have a question. I pulled my tranny again because it quit pulling. After much investigation I ripped the splines in the case out that hold the planetaries in place. After talking with a few of my buddies they were telling me that loose chains in my transfer case can cause the output shaft to chatter causing this. Well Im haveing my case rebuilt also for GP since its never been done. Now that you have some backround thats probably unimportant heres my real question. Does anyone have the Part # for the seal that goes between the transfer case and the plate that joins the tranny and transfer case? I have looked all over and everyone say huh whats that we have never seen that before? This is getting very irritating and i really want my blazer back on the road. Thanks Guys and Gals. I would really appreciate your help. Oh by the way i have a 350/203 setup thats full time.

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You are rebuilding the 203? Why? I'd get a 205 and slap in there. You get a stronger case, less weight, part time 4x4, you get rid of the problems associated with chain cases, all for probably less then you're going to pay for a rebuild. The 205 is about 5.5" shorter then the 203 so you'd need a longer driveshaft but that may be a good thing if angle is a problem. I see used 203s all the time for like $50-$100. They are a dime a dozen in yards. One of my friends has tried giving me one he has laying around. Think this through and make sure you want to go down that road.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the 203 is a damn good case in my eyes.
    GREAT for any kind of mostly normal use. when they rebuild it have them convert it to part time. it is worth the extra cost use the shaft replacement kit. yeah, the 203 has its drawbacks, but i have never had a problem with mine. and i beat the hell out of it.

as for your part number, i dunno. most folks say not to use RTV, but i do anyways. i have an SM465 to NP203 setup. no leaks yet, but it has not been in my truck yet...
    grant

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The seal between the trans and the xfer adapter is a square cut o-ring....ava from any parts house worth there salt or a good transmission parts warehouse...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

I did this about two weeks ago, I had to install new brass freeze plugs, cuz the old ones rusted.

Anyhow, I called a few local tranny shops and they all said to just generously apply RTV... So I did, and no problem. If you're really picky, I'd do what was said above - buy a sheet of gasket paper or whatever, and make your own.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just got done dealing with this very thing today. Planted a good TH350 back in the Blazer and went to hook up the NP203. There is a small rubber ring around the front part of the tranny/TC mount that you need. Mine was in good shape so, based upon the amount of RTV that was already on there, I cleaned the front side of the mount real good and applied a light coat of RTV on the face of the mount leaving a gap between the rubber o-ring and the rtv. Then on the back side I tried everywhere to get the gasket that you are talking about that goes between the mount and the TC. The GM dealer said they not only don't make that gasket available anymore, they don't have the new 0-rings, nor do they have the small rubber o-rings that go on the bolts that screw the mount onto the tail end of the tranny either. I talked to the mechanic at the dealership and he says when they get an older rig in, they just use RTV around the bolts when they put the mount back onto the rear of the tranny. He said you can order the 0-rings and gasket aftermarket, but it takes forever. So, I went to the local auto parts store, got some gasket material, and used the old gasket as a templet to cut my own gasket. Then I appled some RTV on it and mounted it up. It seems to work fine.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Check for local trans stores. I just bought a complete kit for a 205, all the range box seals/gaskets for a 203, and the tail shaft ring/seals/gaskets for the TH350. Everything in stock, kits or singles, your choice, total bill, $30...

8. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I got the oring that goes between the transmission and the gasket from my last rebuild. It still looks god so im going with that. The other gasket was still ok last time so i put some rtv on it and it worked great but this time its to badly damaged. So I guess its going to be make my own gasket time. Anyway about the 205 I though about it and the truck is already setup for full time 4 wheel and as much 4 wheeling as i do. Not alot till i make all the mods i want I figure why mess with what works. I bought the truck from the original owner in colorado and I even have all the paperwork including sales reciept from original purchase so im trying to keep it as original as possible to a reasonible extent. Someday It will be time to cut and chop the hell out of it but not just yet!! Oh and its costing me 200 in parts to rebuild the t-case. the tranny cost me some s-10 front end parts and a torque converter. Its great to have friends that do this stuff for a living. Thanks guys!!

9. yellow81k10

yellow81k10 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif i just replaced the o-ring in my 350/208 and i would say go ahead and buy the o-ring. they are only 3 or 4 bucks at the dealer. its better to put in a new gasket now while youve got it out than to have to pull it again and start over. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

About the case to adapter gasket, I couldn't find one either. I called the local tranny shop and he sold me just that gasket out of one of his kits for about $2.

11. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    About the case to adapter gasket, I couldn't find one either. I called the local tranny shop and he sold me just that gasket out of one of his kits for about $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it does exist!!.. I ordered a whole gasket and bearing kit and a chain also. hopefully it will come in there.