Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case grinding mystery solved?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Mar 25, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

It just now occurred to me what could possibly be the problem in my transfer case. When I reinstalled my front driveshaft i noticed that the CV joint made contanct with the crossmember. i had also noticed only when it is in 4 wheel drive (with hubs locked) it would grind. Could this cause the really loud grinding?

Also- from what i have recently found out, I may actually have the part time mod, but was not old when i bought the truck. it seems that i don't need to be in loc to run with the front hubs unlocked. also when the transfer case wasn't in lock the other day the front output shaft on the case turned freely while the rear didn't move. i still have four positions though? could someone have done an incomplete job and left for shifter positions?
    thanks

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a part time kit as long as the front otput doesnt move when in the farthest shifting positition either way. (4wd lock low,2wd low, N, 2wd high, 4wd lock high)

3. BowtieRed

but could the CV joint cause the grinding?

4. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

you might have your crossmemeber backwards, it may look completely symmectrical but it may not be. Mine has a dent for the CV flange to clear the xmember from the factory. I know this becasue I had the same problem as you after taking it out and puttin gi tback in.

5. BowtieRed

if i take it out the transfer case won't like fall out will it?

6. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yes, you have to support it with a jack or something then pull the x-member off. Later
    -fLeXy K20