Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case gurus: transfer case mechanics 101

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Nov 6, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well, im mechanically inclined and all, been inside of gobs of engines and trannies and axles, but never into a transfer case, i am now wanting to learn transfer case internals; how they work,

1. does mainshaft run all way form input back to rear output ?

2. how is front output shaft connected ? and is it connected to mainshaft or to rear output, or ?

3. do transfer cases have gears and forks very similar to manual trannies ? i assume so(in order to have lo and hi ranges)

4. what gears slide, and what gears are stationary inside of a transfer case

5. anyone know of exploded diagram/view of an NP transfer case that i can study ?

maybe i wont be the only one to learn some good new info here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

thanks

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not buy a hanes for a chevrolet with the transfercase you're interested in, they have exploded diagrams of t-cases..

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cuz haynes tends to be not accurate on some illustrations, i have found in the past, a GM service manual would be the thing to research with, but i have none with transfer cases in them
    hmm..

thanks

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I found a really cool exploded view of a 208 the other day /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    its probley on my other computer, I'll check when i get my power supply /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sorry can't find it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Echobit has a good expoded wiev of a NP203 on their homepage
    http://www.echobit.com. It´s under "technical articles".

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im not sure about the pics for the 203 and 205, but haynes did a pretty good job with their rebuild article for the 208.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

1) No the mainshaft is not a solid shaft from input to out put . It can not be if there is a different ratio in the case - if it was a solid shaft it would only be capable of a 1 to 1 drive.

2 )The front out put is supported by bearings and driven by either a sprocket or a gear depending on what model of T/C.

3 ) Yes , they have forks and shift collars similar to what you would find in a manual tranny.

4 ) This is a loaded question and would be best answered on a model by model basis.

5 ) Several folks on this board have posted some GM diagrams that are pretty good and descriptive so a search might find some good pic's ( I think that MJ had some T/C diagrams in his web site ) . If that does not help spend some time at your local GM dealership and ask the parts guy to go to the "OLD" books and have them copy a page or two for Ya .
    Also Mitchel Professional Automotive books are a GREAT resource but very exspensive.
    Good luck , Tom

8. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

If you are looking to rebuild, get in touch with John at JB Conversions.com.

I just rebuilt my NP241c this weekend, using his rebuild kit, a new Borg/Warner chain, and his slip yoke eliminator short shaft kit.

Not difficult at all, I just followed the included instructions, and layed out the parts as in the order they came out, swapped the sprocket. syncro ring, and gear on the main shaft, and then reassembled the unit. Took me 2 hours total, including time at the parts washer.

If you feel comfortable turning wrenches on your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, you will have no problem.

The rebuild kit he sells includes all of the seals, o-rings, teflon slides (on the shift forks), and bearings to completely redo the case, and the SYE install made it even easier.

John was very helpful when I got stuck, and was available via e-mail and phone to answer questions.

It's much easier that setting up R&P's IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PM me, and I'll send you the exploded 241c diagram and pics of what I did, if you need 'em...

Good luck!
    Byron