Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case hangs low

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tom, Jul 8, 2000.

1. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Why do the transfer cases on mid 80's blazers hang so low and reduce ground clearance. The older ones are mounted higher. What's the best solution? No matter how mucyh lift is put on, there is more breakover clearance if the case is mounted up higher. I know the driveline angles can get worse, but the 70's blazers don't seem to have the problem. It's a 208 case. Can i just raise it up?

2. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I have thought the same thing. My 73 blazer hangs 5" lower than the bottom of the frame. I was wonder also if I could rise it up also. I know that you would have to reindex the bolt pattern and maybe do some tunnel work to make it work. Has anybody done this before.

Donovan

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The 208 case hangs low because of its design and the use of a chain instead of gears. My 205 is a little low, but with my new skid plate crossmember I rarly hit, if it does it just thumps and keeps on going. Dont think you can re clock any of the stock t-case's, would probably cause some failure due to lack of oiling anyway.

You could do a body lift and then raise your drive line, or if you like body work, do some tunnel work on your tranny tunnel and raise it that way. Then you run into rear drive line angle problems maybe.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>