Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ozzie Bigbird, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Ozzie Bigbird

Ozzie Bigbird Registered Member

G'day fellas,

I have just got my 1974 k5 in from the US.

It is a full-time 4 x 4 and I wish to make it a part time 4 x 4.

Please appreciate, chevy trucks are not thick on the ground here as they were never sold new, so I was wondering whether any of you guys would know if the transfer case out of an early to mid 80's bronco could be used, as we have millions of them, and they were all part time boxes.

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.

HARRY

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Anything is possible with enough skills and money. It would be easier to buy a part time kit for the case you have.

3. Ozzie Bigbird

Ozzie Bigbird Registered Member

That's great, and something I am already aware of.

Please appreciate that it would probably be quicker and cheaper for me to pull a transfer case out of something else as opposed to ordering parts from the US, waiting for them to arrive and then mucking around to get them to work.

What I am really after is to find out if (1) the bronco cases are the same length and (2) do they have a common bolt pattern with the GM units.

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

What transfer case do you have? If it has 2wd, 4 hi, 4 low and neutral all you should have to do is swap in some manual hubs.

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I would just go with the manual hubs, and be done with it. Granted, your front driveshaft will turn, but power will not be driving to the wheels.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Ford bits are not a direct swap. :( Ford transmission output shafts aren't the same as GM output shafts, and Ford puts the front diff on the drivers side.

The best kit for converting an NP-203 is the shaft type, shown at the top of this page:
    http://www.milemarker.com/4x2conversion.htmlIt can take much more abuse than the cheaper "jam the internal diff" style that's shown in the 3rd pic.