Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case identification?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.bowtie, Sep 5, 2005.

1. mr.bowtie

mr.bowtie Newbie

the t/c that i have i believe to be a 205 but the tag is gone the truck is a 70 c10 on 4x4 frame, year model also in question? can anyone give identifing pionts for a 205Vs208 also any ways to find the year model of the frame (67-72) (73-87) I'm sure there are some differences. any asistance would be appreciated

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Can you take a pic and post it?

Other than that, is it an Iron Case or Aluminum case? The old Rockwell T-221, NP205 and NP203 are all Cast Iron Cases. NP208 and NP241's are Aluminum cases. Start with that and we can narrow it down some more...

3. mr.bowtie

mr.bowtie Newbie

it is an iron case.
    to be honest i would know how to add a pic i can't even figure how to add a avatar

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    This is what the back of a 205 looks like. The tell tale sing is the little round cover with 3 bolts.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing your truck has the 205 as they are pretty common, but if by chance it has the Rockwell its pretty easy to spot. Its skinnier and taller than the 205, and has a weird starburst shaped cover on the rear. It also uses a weird adapter with a side cover and a 2 piece stamped steel pivot for the shifter handle (when used in married applications).