Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case in 4-Low

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Nov 1, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Lets say I needed to pull a fairly heavy trailer up a gravel driveway. About 3600 pounds, maybe a little more. I have an 84 Blazer with a 700R4 and NP208. Would it hurt to put the transfer case in 4-Low to with the hubs unlocked to pull the trailer up the driveway, so I could make use of the lowers gearing? Thanks.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it wouldn't hurt a thing.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That would basically put you in 2-low. That sends all of the torque, multipied by the low range ratio, to just the rear axle. In 4-low the torque is split 50/50 between the axles. So you do stand a chance of breaking parts in the rear end, especially with the stock axles. But since the driveway is gravel, you should be able to use 4-low with the hubs locked, to spread the load between them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, good. Cause I did it today. I left the hubs unlocked, so it was just like 2 lo. That way i didn't have to give it much gas to move the trailer.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When reversing my 21 foot trailer I always put it in "2-low"...it's so much easier on the clutch!

Rene

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I see that you already did it, but I would have put it in 4wd low and kept the hubs locked, for better traction, and since you are on loose gravel, you need the traction and there is no bind.
    Good to hear it worked.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And gives me plenty of time to sort out which direction I need to turn the steering wheel to get the trailer to go where I want it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif