Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case indentification??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UofA_Blazer, Apr 9, 2006.

1. UofA_Blazer

UofA_Blazer Guest

How can you tell the difference between a np203 and np205 from the outside? The last to trucks I was looking to buy fell through, I'm now looking at a 77 Jimmy with a "high sierra towing package" and I'm trying to figure out which TC it has. I've search for about 30 minutes without finding the answer.

2. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I believe the linkages on the side of the transfer case are different, but I'm no expert either. My truck is a Jimmy Sierra 1974 and it has a 203 if that helps any.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

look for the id tag and the rear of the t case. you might have to wipe away some grease and sludge, but it shoul dbe there.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

See if this guide helps. ORD id a good job of laying it out.

5. UofA_Blazer

UofA_Blazer Guest

I found this number on the rear passenger side of the TC: 4890. Is there a list somewhere that I can look this up.

Cbbr: Thanks for the posting that link it's very informative, but I'm a little confused. The TC looks like the 205 from that picture and the truck has manual hubs, but I don't remember seeing a plate w/ 3 bolts and the shifter settings are H-lock, H, N, L, L-lock which would indicate 203.

Thanks for your time.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If the tcase is really long, its a 203, if its short its a 205. Any thing is typically (unless its been swapped) 203's came behind auto trannies and 205's came behind manual trannies. Just because there are hubs on the front doesn't indicate anything. Could mean that the owner has put a part time kit in a 203.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, main 3 things I look at are: the shift linkage, the 3-bolt idle gear cover thingy, and the rear output seal retainer. On the 205 the shift linkage attaches to the top-center on the front of the t-case, on the 203 its further forward and on the side of the range box. On the back side of the case, the 205 has the 3-bolt cover, the 203 doesn't. Lastly, on the 203 the rear output seal/retainer thingy is much longer, while the 205 one is short (less than an inch).

as noted by others, manual hubs aren't a sure indicator... thanks to the milemarker part-time kit for the np203.

j