Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Leak at Rear Seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Sep 17, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

If my 208 C Transfer Case has a leak at the rear seal where the drive shaft slides in, how much of a job am I looking at? Can I fix this leak by just removing the rear tail cone piece of the transfer case? I'm getting fluid splattered across the bottom of the cab, so I'd like to get this done soon - Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the same problem .It's not hard to replace the seal but I think mine is caused by to much play . I'm wondering if maybe my transfer case needs rebuilt .

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem. On mine the actual yoke that slides up in the case had a small groove in it. Apparently where the seal had rubbed the yoke for so long. Fluid was actually leaking out and while going down the road it would spray up under the truck - what a mess!! The fix - I bought a new yoke from the dealer as well as a new seal. Problem solved. Before I took the drive shaft out and noticed the groove around the yoke I was told it was definitely the t-case. I believe the t-case has an air vent at the top of it and people kept telling me the fluid was spraying out of there. Not true!! Take a few minutes and pull your drive shaft and inspect the yoke. I had already rebuilt my t-case about two years ago so I knew that wasn't it!!

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

4. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain! I replaced my rear seal a couple of months ago and I'm still leaking. I haven't done anything more with it yet. More important items on my list to keep this thing running week end and week out! I intend on pulling the yolk and checking it for grooves and/or nicks and hitting it with an emory cloth to see if I can smooth it out. You might try that before you chuck it and get a new one. Good luck...

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

5. Cerote

Cerote Registered Member

Is it possible to sleeve the slip-yoke the same way you repair a grooved harmonic damper???
    By the way does anyone make a slip-yoke eliminator kit for that darn 208? Don't say "Yeah, buy a 205"! ...lol

I H8 POSER TRUCKS!!!
    '86 K-5, 305cid, SM465, 31" BFG A/T...

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I had the same prob and replaced the rear seal, no more leaking.

7. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Shortly after getting my Blazer (no leak) I had my mech change all the fluids. Get home, now the t-case is leaking from the same location as yours. I find it hard to believe this was caused by having the fluid changed.

8. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

Just took my 1990 to the "PENNZOIL" 10 min lube guys. They said the ATF is burnt and they would change it for $20.00. I told them I would do it this weekend and never mind. They said they would top it off....well 3 Qts. later it was full, and NOW the seal is leaking..IMAGINE THAT. Oh-well. I priced it today for my NP 241 C and its a WHOPPING $4.21. Next question...How many qts of ATF do I need to fill it??

9. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

OH YEAH!! Hey 1TUFF89 what did the new yoke cost you? I already replaced the rear 1 and my front one is grooved BAD!! I just had it out about a month ago and changed the U-joints and added some grease inside the yoke (GM recommended this) to stop the KLUNK. I have a smooth used one but if its cheap enough I'll get a new one. THANKS!!