Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, Jun 7, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

OK I have a leak out the rear of my transfer case, at least I'm pretty sure that is it I have oil dripping off my driveline onto the driveway. I've never worked on a transfer case I'm assuming there is a rear seal on the back of the tranny is it a pretty straight forward fix or should I just take it into a tranny shop?

I've done alot of tranny R&R's and stuff even an auto to 6speed swap in a F-body just never worked on a 4x4....

2. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

If your talking about the x-case output seal that the driveline slips through then yes, it is an easy fix. Just pull the driveline out then pry the seal out, be carefull though not to mess up the aluminum x-case. After that just evenly put another seal in and put the shaft back in. simple as that /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.
    -Kell-

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

One addition: Is that a 208/700R4 combo? I had the same problem with mine, and replacing the tailshaft seal on the transfer case didn't help. Pull out the fill plug on the transfer case, and see if anything comes out. If it does, that means that the case is overfilled. If the case is overfilled, chances are that you need to pull the case out of the truck, and replace the seals on the front (where the transmission input shaft goes) also, as fluid is leaking into the case from the transmission.

4. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

I thought I had a 241 case on the 89? That is a possibility I bought it from a Chevy dealer who had there service department go through it which mean ANYTHING Is possible /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'll check to see if it over filled although the amount its leaking I'd be suprised its still that full...

5. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Yeah. It could be a 241. I just remembered the trouble I had when I went to the dealer to buy a new gasket for my 208, and the guy told me he hadn't a listing for a 208/700R4 combo in 89...
    Same basic design as the 241, though, and, correct me if I am wrong, but the seals are the same type...