Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case leak...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, Mar 11, 2002.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I have completely rebuilt my 208 about 6 months back. Now the question this weekend I replaced the front output shaft seal to fix the leak, and to no avail it still leaks, so do I need to go to the parts store and try to find a different seal that is tighter on the shaft or is it the shaft that is causing it to leak and I need to replace it?
    I just want to fix it so I don't have to rebuild it in the near future because the fluid got low and it burned up. Any suggestions?

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Didja put some RTV around the outside edge on the new seal? You sure you seated it all the way?

3. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Yeah, did all that it looks like it's leaking around the shaft.
    It's not pouring out, but a steady stream, about a quart a week.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: My solution

Here is my solution. I went ahead and bought some sort of thick sink stopped gasket from a hardware store and used it on mine. I can look next time I go. Mine leaked as well until I cut and fitted the gasket and torqued it to the full 120ft lbs.....anything less than that 120ft-lbs and mine leaked as well

5. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Re: My solution

Similar problem here. Had my 208 rebuilt at clutch & U joint w/ a one year warranty. 8 months later the front output shaft started leaking, they replaced the seal. Later I put on the brace that goes from the T case to the engine, now it appears that my case is leaking where the halves join. does this brace really apply that much pressure? Or is it a different problem

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

your front output flanges seal surfaces are probly all jacked up . if thats not it the seal isnt the right one . then maybe it didnt get put together correctly.none of mine ever leak , until i grenade them /forums/images/icons/smile.gif !

7. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Ok here is a shot in the dark, what's the part number you got for the shaft? I don't have the one I bought here in front of me but I do know I paid $11 for it! The rear I bought is a National seal 9449 though.
    The front seal I bought is a 3946, I saw that they make a seal and shaft kit for it, what exactly is it and has anyone used it?
    PN# 99187

8. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

I had the same problem awhile back. Replaced the front seal
    on the transfercase and it started leaking again. there is a little rubber star shaped washer behind the nut on the front drive shaft flange. This is where mine was leaking from.
    of course dealer only item. I hope this helps

9. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Nope I replaced that, had a spare form the rebuild kit.
    It is definately the front shaft seal, I guess I will have to get a new front yoke unless anyone knows of another way to fix it.

10. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

go talk to napa ... if that yoke is worn a little the seal will hold for a little while and then start to leak again (like my pinion yoke on my 10 bolt*). They have a nifty patch ... its a thin band of metal at a specific diameter that you "pound" onto the yoke "neck" to get it back out to the original diameter. Then the seal seals up good and doesn't leak. They're pricey (25-30) ... but after replacing 4 seals on my pinion I was ready to try anything

(* - I know that the solution to any 10 bolt prob is a 14 bolt ... )

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think (big emphasis on the think) that the items at NAPA are called Speedy Sleeves, and they do work well as I have seen them in use on farm equipment and they don't leak.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

(* - I know that the solution to any 10 bolt prob is a 14 bolt ... )

<hr></blockquote>

That gets expensive on the front axle /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif, sorry just had to say it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll look into it.
    Looks like I've got a project for the weekend!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You should have tried a new pinion yoke.