Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85Silverado, Apr 18, 2002.

1. 85Silverado

85Silverado Registered Member

85 Chev Silverado. Transfer case is leaking out of the housing in the rear. Not sure on correct name. Can I just drop the drive shaft and pull the seal out or do I have to remove the housing to get at the seal? Never messed with this one before.

Todd

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If it is a slip yoke xfer case:
    You can pull the drive shaft, then pull the seal, replace it with a new one, and reinstall the drive shaft. Should be that easy.

If not, what seal are you talking about? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

3. KRAZIE87K5

And fill out that profile if you want others to help you! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

4. 85Silverado

How do I know if its a slip yoke?
    See if that profile thing worked too. Gave it a try.

Todd

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You pull out the driveshaft, and pop out the seal. Then you tap in a new seal. Its that easy. The seal can be a little bit of a pain to get out, but no big deal. The problem I ran into, is I replaced the seal, and it still leaks. I have heard a little RTV around the outside of the seal (seal to tcase surface) helps.

When I took my seal out, I took a screwdriver and pryed a the lip of the seal up, and then took a big screwdriver, and a big freakin hammer (2 lb sledge) and gave the seal a few whacks and it popped right out. Then tapped in the new seal with the sledge. I would be a little more careful with the blunt force on the Tcase though, It is just aluminum.

6. KRAZIE87K5

The profile looks better, but you can use the "bio" section to describe your truck a bit for everyone. This way, everyone has an idea of what you are asking about. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

As for your xfer case, does the drive shaft "slip" into it? If so, that is a slip yoke. I'm guessing that you have a slip yoke, so as Hossbaby and I said, pull the shaft, pull the seal, replace the seal. And YES, a little RTV will help seal up the scratches you put in the tail shaft with the screw drivers that you will use to pull that seal. Finally, it is a bright idea to also lube up the output shaft with some lithium grease before installing it. GMs are FAMOUS for their rear drive shafts binding, causing a thumping or banging noise when unloading the pressure applied upon braking.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

7. 85Silverado

Thanks KRAZIE87K5 and Hossbaby 50. I'm going to take a shot at it tomorrow.

Todd

8. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

Does anyone know a part number for this seal and where I can get it? Also, how much do they run?
    What is the name of this seal? Thanks

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Walk into a parts store and tell them what you have. His case should be a 208 right? I'd call it a rear output tail shaft seal or flange seal. You may be able to see the number on the one that's in there and match it that way. This isn't an odd request at a parts store. Seal may be $6-$8. I went ahead an bought a $10 seal puller from Napa. Just no sense tearing up my knuckles. I have control over the angle I pull at and the pressure I pull at. Flying screwdrivers under the truck ain't fun. A good investment and saves time-bigtime.