Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Oct 17, 2002.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

I have a slow drip coming off of the front u joint on the rear driveshaft. I can't see any fluid coming from the transfer case, but it may be because the shaft isn't spinning. You can see the fluid on the sheet metal where the shaft has flung it. I have replaced the rear output seal on the transfer case, and it still leaks. It appears that it is leaking where the drivshaft spindle connects to the ujoints. Is it possible the yoke is cracked and allowing fluid to leak. Please help me on this.

2. caryhenry

please help guys

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

is it definately tranny fluid? or is it just grease that got flung off of the u-joint? how many miles are on it, and can you move the output shaft around in the tail shaft housing?

4. caryhenry

it's definitely tranny fluid, and when I replaced the seal the output shaft didn't appear to be moving around. at least I didn't notice it when I put the driveshaft back in.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Did you put the felt or rubber bushing back in behind the yoke nut when you did the seal?
    Was there a deep (your fingernail stops)groove in the yoke itself?

6. milspecjimmy

thinking about it a little harder, i want to tell you to clean the tail saft off and look for cracks, but the fluid would usualy run down the case and drip off the bottem of the t case. next i would say go ahead and get a SPEEDI SLEEVE, its a "shim" that you slip on the end of the slip yoke, and it fills in any parts of the shaft that have worn a groove in them from the miles, if you do end up using a speedi sleeve, put a small ammount of RTV silicone around the shaft where the sleeve will rest when it is in place, this will help seal it and eliminate any question of wether it is flowing between the shaft and the speedi sleeve or not. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. caryhenry

I pried the old seal out of the transfer case and installed the new one in. There was nothing else there. The fluid looks like it's coming from the back of the slip yoke where it connects to the u-joint, and there is no fluid anywhere else. The truck has 130k miles on it.

8. milspecjimmy

id go ahead and get the speedi sleeve, it is like 12 bucks, and takes about 4 mins to install, with 130k on it it has a groove, you just might not be able to see it, and its normal for it to happen. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. caryhenry

where can I get these speedy sleeves?

10. milspecjimmy

the ones i have used are made by chicago rawhide,and i got them at NAPA. but i am sure any good, non chrome sales parts store can get you one right off the shelf /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the slip yoke has a plug(behind the u-joint) in the end of the splined tube that slides over the output shaft of the transfer case, the fluid is leaking out of the plug and dripping off the u-joint. If you clean the outside surface of the plug with carb/brake cleaner and smear RTV around the plug it may work for a temporary fix. I usually remove the u-joint, remove the plug, clean everything, put sealer in the groove for the plug, and reinstall the plug.

12. caryhenry

how should I get that plug off?

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

From your description I don't see how the seal could have anything to do with it.
    The yoke that goes on the U joint is the problem, it should have a nut with usually a rubber seal that could deteriorate, Either replace the seal or put some RTV.

14. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the plug I'm talking about is a flat, slightly dished expansion plug that drives into a groove in the end of the slip yoke behind the u-joint. remove the driveshaft, remove the yoke from the u-joint, the plug is centered in the yoke, between the two flanges for the u-joint. use something round, and drive the plug out of the yoke, clean the groove in the yoke and clean up the plug, put sealer in the groove and tap the plug back in place.

15. caryhenry

thank you so much for your help, I'm gonna take care of this little problem this weekend.