Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case leakage!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by morcav, May 1, 2007.

1. morcav

morcav Registered Member

Hey guys! I would really appreciate your help on this one, seeing as it could prevent me from getting my pride and joy home. I'm stationed in Germany right now and am expectin to come up on orders to the states soon, only problem being that they won't ship a leaking vehicle and mine has had this leak for a couple months now. It's coming from the rear output but I have determined that it is not the seal (I have put three new ones in in the last two months) the only thing I can think of is that the rear output shaft is loose and causing the slip yoke to viberate and let fluid out? Any ideas? SYE and new driveshaft are out of the question while I'm still in Germany. How much is a rebuild kit for a 241 and how hard for a mechanically inclined DIY'er that hasn't done one before? Do you think that will even fix it or is the problem? Sorry about all the questions all at once but I have to get back to work and this is pretty important. Thanks guys.:confused:

2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

is there a groove on the slip yoke? if so you need a new one or a speedi sleeve. you could always tighten up the spring inside the seal.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I know nothing about 241s but is it possible the fluid is leaking from under the nut that holds the yoke on? If thats the case then just take the nut off and clean the area up real good with some brake parts cleaner and wire brush and silicone the piss outta it. Put the washer and nut back on and torque it. Hope this helps. And thanks for doing what you're doin.

4. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

X2:D

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

cut the top off a 20 oz. bottle. tape and silicone it on the tailshaft. throw the rear shaft in the back. put it in front wheel drive and load her up for shipping.

But if you really want to fix it right or someone will crawl underneath to see how you rigged it, then follow the advice of the other guys responding.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

they will look under it..... but it won't see many miles...... drain most of the fluid

7. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

Drain it. VOILA!!! No leak:D

8. morcav

morcav Registered Member

There's not a groove that I can see and I have already tightened the spring on the seal, but I put the truck on jackstands and put her in drive and the drive shaft seems to wobble a bit, but all of the weights are still on the shaft, do you think the transfer output or the pinion yoke could be loose?, what would stop it if that is the problem? Thanks guys!

9. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

sounds like you got some wore out parts. can you shake the shaft arourd when it's attached to the t-case and the axle? look for where it moves.

10. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

If the Shaft is wobbling it is causing the slip yoke to move in an oval pattern and will cause a leak. I had the same problem and ended up with a SYE and new shaft. You may need to get the shaft balanced or straightened.

11. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I have this same problem but mine is caused by the input seal leaking, allowing fluid from the transmission to enter the transfercase, overfill it, and cause it to leak out the outputs... found this out by pulling the fill plug on the transfercase and getting soaked in fluid, talk about a surprise. :eek1: