Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case leaking !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Mar 4, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

now my transfer case is leaking. I have oil dripping off of the cv - shaft where the yoke is attached to the t-case. any good fix for this? could it be something i could fix? 87 chevy NP208 thanks

I read in some earlier posts about t-case leaks and one struck me as interesting. About a month ago i dropped my transfer case one inch with the stock spacers. Should I be worried about a possible transmission seal leaking into the transfer case due to the drop? this could explain the over abundance of transmission fluid in the t-case if fluid was going into the case.

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigblue on 03/05/01 01:40 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 Jimmy diesel, auto and I was leaking fluid too. Turns out the bolts holding the t case to the tranny had stripped out the holes. They fixed that and put in new transfer case output shaft seals for both driveshafts along with a new pan gasket. $257 and no leaks so far.

3. dewey

dewey Registered Member

i know most people don't like the "motor in a can" fix it problem, but it worked for my 700r4 5000 miles ago without a leak...

HEY! Your ford scratched my skidplate!!

4. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

New seal and check the trans rubber mount sometimes with age the rubber mount let it flex a little...

Eat More Mud!!!

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies. I got underneath and it looks like the seal between the rear output shaft and case is leaking. If i drain the oil and then take out the shaft, marking exactly where it lines up, then replace the seal it should fix the problem being that that is where it is leaking. One problem I have is I don't have a socket for the weird torx bolt head on that connects the cv joint to the out put shaft. I am gong to sears tomorrow to see what i can find. Has anyone replaced this seal before?

[​IMG]

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Just disconnect your Ujoint to the rear axle and pull the entire dshaft out. When I redid mine I had to. I used a 2/0 fish hook fastend to a 30# steel leader to yank the seal out. I used a pvc tube "drift" in the seal. Lube the seal with fluid to ease it in. Lets go BYP!!!!!!!!

BYP= Back Yard Performance

[​IMG]

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I don't understand how you did this trainman. The seal looks like it is on the outer edge of the case. couldn't i pry the seal off with a nice flathead screwdriver. Also with the pvc i need this in english, sorry. What would be the purpose of the pvc. and what do you mean by drift. sorry man i am new to this game so understanding the technical terms i am a little slow. thanks

[​IMG]

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

bigblue, are you talking about the front driveshaft or the rear driveshaft? When you said CV-joint I assumed front, but I'm not so sure now.
    PVC- PolyVinyl Chloride. He's referring to PVC pipe, the white plastic pipe you can buy in home improvement stores. By using a piece of PVC pipe whose diameter is very close to that of the seal, you can hit it with a hammer and drive or "drift" the seal into place. Hope that helps.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I see now. I have CV conversion for the REAR - that helps big time, it is used to seat the seal in place. you wouldn't know the part number to the rear seal. i went to Kragen and they could not help me - they said they didn't carry it. thats weak. thanks jarhead you helped alot.

[​IMG]

10. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

?

[​IMG]