Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case linkage problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trukker, Sep 4, 2004.

1. trukker

trukker 1/2 ton status

I just got thru swapping my 700r4 /208 for the th400/208 combo, and need some t-case linkage help. Are certain year surburan and blazer linkages the same?. The transfer cases seem to have the same shift pattern, But the burb case has a diffrent throw angle than the blazer case. The tranny and case came out of an 87 burb the blazer is an 89.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Isn't there an adjustment on the bottom where you can make it work?

3. trukker

trukker 1/2 ton status

I tried that , When in 2 hi the piece on t case is at 12 o'clock. when in 4 lo it's at about 3 o'clock. There isn't enough range of motion in the whole linkage assembly to make adjusting it work.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You could get a piece of tubing as a sleeve for strength , and weld another section of threaded rod on . Then it would be long enough /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. trukker

trukker 1/2 ton status

Actually the rod is too long now. It's the piece thats on the t/case thats too short I think . I haven't had time to really see what it needs.I was just wondering if the linkages were diffrent between the burb and blazer.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The linkage is likely not different. It's probably because the TH 400 is shorter than your old tranny and that's why you're having issues.

It's not due to the body it's in.

7. trukker

trukker 1/2 ton status

I had heard that the 400 was shorter and I would have to do some driveline modifications but mine bolted up in the same location on crossmember and all drive lines were same length. Sooooooooo.. Custom linkage here we come! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif