Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case lowering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smartpatrol, Apr 15, 2004.

1. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Seen alot of talk about lowering the transfer case on lifted blazers to get the drive shaft angle correct. My question is what is the best way of going about it? For now i am leaving in the NP208 with the stock transmission cross member any suggestions on how to do it? We just installed the rear Dana 70 and will set the pinion angle when we weld the spring perches. I installed a 4 inch shackle flip with 2.5" springs for a total of 6"'s of lift. How far do i need to lower the drivetrain to get the angle within 20 degrees?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I lowered mine by moving the spacers that are on top of the cross member, to between the frame and the crossmember...it worked fine for my application not sure if it is what you are looking for??

3. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Yeah was thinking about doing just that. cept i only have the spacers on one side i suppose i can fab the same for the other side.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I had to lower my transfer case 2 inches to make it stop vibrating and I used two pieces of 1 inch square tubing.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just my $.02 but here goes. Using the stock spacers is hard on the frame, they are very small. Doing it like that is a good way to crack a frame rail. I've only seen it happen a few times (3 that I can think of right now) so it's not a huge issue, but worth considering. You are better off making or buying some larger diameter spacers, or better yet use something that completely fills the space between the x-member & frame. For hight I would not use more than 1". Remember, you are not realy just lowering the case, you are tilting the entire drivetrain. Be kind to your motor mounts & dist cap. Last thing to think about when lowering the case is you are removing the lift you just installed, WHY? If you just want to cruise the mall than no biggie, but otherwise go for one of the better solutions, or at least plan for one down the road if money is tight (when isn't it). Like I said these are my experiences & YMMV.