Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case mounted parking brake

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Has anyone on the list put together a parking brake mounted off the transfer case? Pro or con for this type of setup? Been thinking of going to disc brakes on the back and thinking it would make sense to move the parking brake.

Smitty

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

This is something that I have thought would be a good idea too. The easiest way that I can figure out is to get a e-brake caliper and rotor from a motorcycle and fit it to a flange-style output yoke on your t-case. You'd also have to fabricate a bracket that mounts the caliper to the t-case in the right position for it to clamp down on the rotor. It would take some work and time but I think it's doable.

Stainless Steel Brakes http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com has a kit to fit the e-brake on the yoke of a 9" Ford Rear and maybe it could be adapted to fit the back of your t-case, but I don't know if it would work or not. Check it out and see what you think.

HTH,

buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

On the yoke of a 9" ford? Why would you want the e-brake down on the diff, you'd drag it on everyhing. I've seen people mount an e-brake off the back of the transfercase where it's protected.
    CB

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can keep the parking brake at the axle when you convert to rear discs. The calipers are just more expensive. I converted my 14-bolt rear to discs and have '76 Caddy Eldorado calipers that have a parking brake mechanish built in.

Honestly, the rear discs are something I don't think I'd fool with again. The coolness factor is pretty high, but the rear brakes don't do much of the work anyway. You do trim off a lot of weight on a 14-bolt FF by losing those dump-truck-sized drums! [​IMG]

I swapped my master cylinder for one from a 1980 Camabird with 4-wheel discs. It provides a bit more resevoir capacity for the rear. Those calipers take considerable more fluid to move than the tiny wheel cylinders did.

I haven't seen a kit to mount a brake on the transfer case, though I have seen quite a few custom home brewed jobs. One thing is for sure, disc brakes don't work nearly as well as drum brakes for a parking brake. Keep that in mind if you use a motorcycle rotor and caliper. It may not be able to hold your rig on a steep hill.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

They have these on HMMWV's and I've never cared for them. It ends up being one more piece of equipment to break, as well as shortening the blazer's already short driveshaft and possibly inducing vibrations. Just my opinion.

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Check into the GM HD Chassis. We had them on our wreckers. The only thing was, they were drum brakes. I suggest against the caddy calipers. I had the worst time with my calipers after doing my disc swap. Now that I'm using the montycarlo calipers, this friggin pig stops better than the lil' lady's 98 Eclipse w/ 4 wheel disc's...

COrey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez