Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case mounting bolt won't tighten

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Feb 5, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Transfer case mounting bolt won\'t tighten

I recently swapped a 205 behind my th350 and I was just checking the bolts which mount the adapter to the tranny, and the lower drivers side bolt wont tighten, I thought it was loose, but it just wouldn't get tight, so i backed it out a bit, then re-tightened it and it wont get tight. Does this mean that the hole is stripped out? should I be concernd. It drives great otherwise. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Transfer case mounting bolt won\'t tighten

Sounds like it is stripped /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Sometimes you can get by with using a longer bolt if the hole is deep enough and it will bite into some clean threads...
    If not you will have to drop the t-case and heli-coil it.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I agree, sounds like its stripped. I dont know what the holes are like in the trans, (how deep or if theyre through holes like the 700r4), but the best way to fix it would be to helicoil it. You could try to use a little bit longer bolt, but if youre just grabbing on the last few threads it will probably pull them out.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 350/205 adapter has feet on it where the t-case mount goes. The bolt holes go all the way through and I believe (from memory) there is enough room there to use a longer bolt, then put a washer, lock washer, and nut on the top instead of helicoiling it. You will have to grind the top of the foot smooth to get the nut to seat flat (or use a tapered spacer), but it would save having to remove the crossmember.

Following pic previously posted by someone else:
    [​IMG]

5. 76_Cheyenne

the bolt does back out, and its not loose enough to move by hand, do you guys think I could get by with it the way it is? Im a college student a long ways away from my shop. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Leadfoot

I'm ASSuming it's been that way awhile, so a little more won't hurt it AS LONG AS YOU TAKE IT EASY (i.e. no "Leadfoot"ing). I have cracked one of those adapters while pulling and they aren't cheap. Plus you have to pull the case to change it.

7. 76_Cheyenne

I've been using the thing as usual, hillclimbing, mudding, occasional drag against a FORD, always coming out on top. And I never would have known. You'd think it should be ok, as long as the other 3 are tight and the transfer case to crossmember bolts are tight.

8. 76_Cheyenne

When I bolted on the new t-case, I bought new longer bolts, and I remember the bolt started getting tight before the head touched the adapter. I didn't want to strip the hole so I used the old mounting bolt which was shorter and it tightened, so I got it nice and tight. It did not strip then. So how could it strip on its own? Also I think if there was a problem tranny fluid would start leaking between the adapter and tranny. ANy of this sound reasonable?

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well you would think that it couldn't strip on it's own but it did with me.
    I don't trust the helicoil so I did what Leadfoot suggested for the bottom feet of the adaptor. By the way I had the same problem with those too.
    On the four bolts that bolt to the tranny, there are 2 blind holes and 2 open, I can't remember if they were the bottom or the top ones but I put longer bolts in the blind ones and even longer boltsand added a nut on the other side on the open holes.
    And I never had a problem after that.

10. 76_Cheyenne

iceman, As I remeber the top 2 holes accepted the longer bolts, but the bottom didn't, See I think it happened because the bolt was a little to long for the hole so it stripped itself. If I back out the bolt, is that going to cause trouble trying to get another one in? Also, if it is stripped and I cannot use a longer bolt, where can I go from there?

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What I did was stick a small screw driver in the hole and measured the length available and got a bolt just a hair shorter, and I put it in after the threads were already stripped, it helped with the top 2 secured with nuts.
    By the way the top 2 get more work anyway but if you want to be saf you can drill the holes deaper and tap them for a longer bolt.

12. Leadfoot

Brain fart (I need to learn how to read). I thought you were talking about the bottom feet. The "4" bolts that bolt to the tranny are going into the aluminum of the transmission housing. Overtorquing them will cause them to strip. In that case a heli-coil may be your best option. Drilling into the case may work, but I don't know what is behind those holes or if it will cause stress fractures. Also to do any repairs (other than using a longer bolt and nut in any open holes), you will probably end up dropping the case. Sorry, I misread at first. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

13. 76_Cheyenne

I was wondering what you meant earlier /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif , well i think im going to try what iceman said, use a screwdriver, find out just how long a bolt i need, get one a tad shorter, get thread locker and gently tighten it. I don't have the resources here at the U of Montana to drop the case and do anything else. I appreciate your guys help,
    oh yeah, and what exactly is a helicoil? I've never heard of that.

14. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

Its alot safer to use studs and nuts...
    --
    pull the transfer, and heli-coil the trans case...get kit for bolts at auto parts 3/8-16...the get studs, use lock washers and nuts... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif