Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike87, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

I filled the K5 with gas last night and religiously pulled the T/C lever into lock for the first 20 miles or so. (NP203 w/ part time kit)
    On the way to work this morning I noticed what sounded like a whining noise eminating from the T/C area, almost sounded like the chain.
    Paid little attention to it until I was almost at work, then switched the case out of lock and the noise stopped. I figure it was the chain, but is this bad? does it mean I need to rebuild the T/C? or is it normal? I don't remember hearing this noise before.

Help?

Thanks,
    Mike (#87)

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They do make a little noise if you listen for it. you can probably feel a little vibration on the shifter also. As long as it wasn't real loud I wouldn't put much thought to it. If it's LOUD then it might be time for a chain. It could be dragging on the housing.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well you know you are not supposed to lock it on pavement, if you have been doing that other in straight lines to keep the T/C lubricated, you would have stretched the chain.
    But if it's not too loud you can still be OK, a little slop is fine but when you really feel it's metal dragging it's your sign to go change it, mine failed before I understood what was happening now I know /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    iceMan

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Now I'm worried I'm doing this wrong...every so often I throw my np203 part-time into hi loc without the hubs locked and run in on the road -- is this not the right way to do it? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

You should reread his post. His 203 is part time converted. You are SUPOSE to lock it every few hundred miles. 203's depend on the chain slinging oil to help lubricate them. If you were to not Lock them every few hundred miles the resivior that suplies oil to the tail shaft bearings would run dry and you will fry the bearings and tail shaft.
    Yes if the case in not part time converted you should not use LOC on pavement.

6. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I also have part-time... I have been told that I only had to lock the hubs (to spin the drive shaft) in order to lube the rear housing... or do I have to also loc it into 4hi??? Thanks /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Either way works fine. Just don't lock the hubs and the case at the same time on the street. I just put the case in lock then I can pop it out without having to get out of the truck.

8. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim.. thats what I usaully do.. also I know MIle-Marker recommends 10W30, however the tranny shop that recently rebuilt my case put gear oil back in.. any prob's?? Or should I change it out..

9. Grim-Reaper

Yep Gear oil is too thick. It will bust the pump if you have a plastic one.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mine is still full-time, should I loc it in every now and then, or just leave it in hi. ???

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If it is still full-time you do not need to do that. The reason for doing this with converted cases is cause they depend on the chain to lubricate the bearings and the chain is no longer turning all the time.

I would definitely get rid of the gear oil. I think the reason my t-case went out is because someone had put gear oil in it.

Your driveshaft may have been making the noise. The slip joint is probably worn out from turning for 23+ yrs.