Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case on the point of ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fink, Feb 26, 2002.

1. fink

fink Registered Member

Have a NP205, th350 when I put the transfer case in neutral is it supposed to be in infinite nuetral or if the trucks in drive & 205s in neutral truck will drive (move). I think I might be losen her???

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If your t-case is in neutral the truck will not move, the power ends at the trans. output shaft. Whats your issue maybe we can help....

The Red Beast

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Yep, the truck will go nowhere fast. All the power will stop at the t-case since it is in nutural.

What's the problem with your truck? We might be able to help.

See Ya,
    Keith

"Your just mad cause the voices only talk to me."

4. fink

fink Registered Member

Ok that sounds right. I have a few symptoms -1st when I accelerate to say 30mph & ease off the gas just to the point before coasting theres a growl if i accelerate it goes away and if i let off totally it goes away, theres that intermediate spot where you can make it growl constantly. -2nd going around left hand corners almost @ any speed it slips out of gear not all the time & shifts back in . Ive had a rebuilt tranny put in by a reputable shop w/ a warranty they tell me its the transfer case. Does that sound right? Also my transfer case can be put into neutral but the truck will still drive in drive. Your help is much appreciated

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Your trans. slips out of gear, I'm assuming. If thats the case your t-case has nothing to do with it. Now the t-case neutral thing, that sounds like a shifter problem. your 205 case if your sitting in the drivers seat all the way toward you is 4hi, one click forward is 2hi, one more is neutral, and farthest forward is 4lo. I tell you this not for any other reason than refernce. I have seen detent/shift fork problems on these cases (not all the way in gear) so you need to make sure that is your shift pattern, and the shifter itself is moving freely. Also make sure your t-case isn't overfull, and your trans. isn't under filled.

The Red Beast

6. fink

fink Registered Member

I dont know if its the trans. slipping out of gear according to the shop its in drive when the shifter is in drive.Could the transfer case be making this happen? Ive inspected the transfer case, linkage, changed the fluid properly & shifted the exact pattern you describe to see if it makes a difference & it doesnt.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

well the symtoms you described are strange....just a shot in the dark, but you may want to check your engine mounts and for that matter your trans./t-case mounts. Also the levels in the trans./t-case, I'm interested in finding out if the t-case is overfill. If you just changed the fiuid the level should be the same. So take the fill plug out and see if fluid comes out, also an easy way to check the mounts is to power brake just put the truck in drive and keep the brake on, give it some gas...be gental yet firm, and see if the engine tipps up, if it moves alot you have a broken mount. Do it in reverse also, rember be gental, and don't do it too long or you will need a new tranny!

The Red Beast