Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Madbomber88, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Having lots of trouble locating a medium housing for my 241C off a 91 K5. I've been talking to Power Train in NJ who is the eastern dealer for NP, and they don't have the piece I need. Looked at hundreds of cases in junkyards and no luck. Apparently, this particular casing is rare. I have the casing # for the piece I need.
    So... any great ideas on where to go to get this piece?
    It's #9 in this picture. Has the electrical connection for the speedo (I'm guessing)

Transfer case.JPG

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Would an SYE kit elim that part too? Might be worth looking into.

3. Madbomber88

Somebody else mentioned that too, but for the price, compared to the price of $25 (if I can find the part), and then I am assuming I have to get a new driveshaft... It may be just as cost effective to get a whole new (used) transfer case. What is the benefit of the slip yoke elimination kit for a truck that is mostly a pavement pounder?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your right, complete used case might be best bet, but I suspect the '90-91 (maybe later?) specific 241 would be slightly difficult to find. Besides, if it ends up being a drivers side drop, which I assume was used in say a 1988 K-truck, you end up taking apart a good case to get one piece. :(

Have you talked to GM about the piece? Sometimes the price is reasonable, most often not. :) That's IF GM hasn't discontinued it already. I should be able to get the GM part number for the '88 piece tonight, which should be close to the same cost for a '90+ one I'd expect, if you are interested, just for a cost guesstimate.

5. Madbomber88

At this point, I'm looking for any solution. I'd rather not have to drop the whole case out, and then I'd have to make sure I got another compatible case. It is a passenger side drop, with an electronic speedo.
    There's nothing I hate more than having my truck sitting in pieces because I can't find the part I need. You really go through withdrawal when you don't have them on the road...

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well heck. The '88 manual does not list the NP241 as being used. Not what the specs page here says, but oh well.

The 208 is listed in group 4, I suspect the 241 would be as well in a newer manual.

You can also email GMpartsdirect.com, with your picture, they should be able to get you the part number/price.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The NP241 did not start until 1989 and that was a 1 year only with mechanical speedo, starting in 1990 it was a electric speedo. Yes, the SYE kit does away with that part but then you would need to have a new year driveshaft made so the cost is not worth it for a pavement pounder as you say.

8. Madbomber88

Well finally figured it out. Turns out this particular casing is extremely rare because it is a passenger side drop. New Process said it is obsolute and they didn't know what to do. We ran a nationwide GM dealership part request this morning. I was told either we find the part or that I'd have to get a new case. Turns out one dealership in the nation had the casing, in PA. THey are overnighting it to me. I am more than happy. Better not break this one...