Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case peeing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vw62rag, Sep 22, 2004.

1. vw62rag

vw62rag Registered Member

every were i go my trasfer case leaves a couple nice size drips of tranny fluid on the ground, it seems to be working jus fine, but everytime i park it and come back its marking it spot. is there anything i can do? i dont really wana pull it out and rebuild it unless its totally neccasary. any ideas? thanks

2. terky

terky Registered Member

I dunno if yours would be the same, but on my yota i replaced the drain plug and washer cuz it was stripped and it dropped a little too. maybe try that.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i just hit mine a cupple of times with a rolled up newspaper, no more problems

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. vw62rag

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif a rolled up news paper? i dout that will work for me. the drain plug bolts are fine(not stipped) any other ideas?

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

did you try tightening up the bolts where it's leaking? At the adapter I'm guessing

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I had the same problem, I tried tightening the bolts (mine was leaking at the center of the case where the two halves bolt together). I eventually just slabbed some JB Weld along the seem and no leaks since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

What kind of case do you have? I just had the same prob as you and ended up pulling my 203 and changing the adapter gasket. Atleast if you go this route you can give the tc a once over. You can get a complete gasket set for about 10 bucks. Now I just have to motivate myself to put that 300 lb skillet back in the rig!!

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I find it strange that your VW even has a transfer case /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

It would help if we knew what transfer case you have or even what year the vehicle is so we can guess. If it has a slip yoke output, it is normal for those to seep a little fluid past the seal during usage. You have to replace stuff fairly often to avoid this. If the front output or the rear fixed output is leaking, this can be fixed easily by draining the case, pulling the yoke and replacing the seal.

If it is leaking from a seam, you will likely have to take the case apart just a little to fix it, but your chances are good that it won't require removing the T-case from the vehicle.

So where is the leak?

9. vw62rag

its a 208, it looks like it may be leaking from case, were it bolts together.