Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case popping out of 4wd(NP203)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by breyon55, Sep 16, 2001.

1. breyon55

breyon55 Registered Member

Went out to play in the rocks today and my transfer case would not stay in 4wl. i would engage it and as soon as i would roll forward it would pop out. So i said screw it and went home. Then on the way home i noticed that it was not staying in 2whlock. Id come to a stop and put it back in 4wh loc and go a bit and it would pop back out. Anyone know whats goin on here? Im about ready to say screw it and buy a np205. thanks

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i dont have a 203, but my buddies does exactly the same thing yours does when the linkage is packed w/ mud. may want to hose it off and lube it. of course, its a good excuse to get a 205!!!!

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Had that problem, all it was for ME was the linkage needing adjusted. Simple and it works fine now.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 203 linkage is really goofy so I'd suspect that.

Also, what kind of lube do you have in it? It takes motor oil. Make sure there's enough in there too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

as soon as I read the title of this i had to laugh, mine would do the same thing, I would have my passenger hold the level in LOC with thier foot. I though of just hooking a ratcheting tow strap to the dash and the level to hold it in low loc. But after that 'case went south I hadn't had a problem, of coarse i haven't been wheeling since[​IMG]

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

6. yes, check the linkage first. i had the same problem. make sure you adjust the linkage as per the manual. if you still have the prob then its internal. i used a bungi cord to keep my old 203 in low loc.

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

203s are supposed to be notorious for doing that. One of the first times I took mine out in the sand it did that without me realizing it and I started freaking out thinking my 4WD truck sucked since it was struggling to get through the sand!

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>