Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az84chevy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. az84chevy

az84chevy Registered Member

As i was driving down the road the truck just started free revving. Pulled it into a parking lot and shifting into park or any other gear just left it in neutral.

Then i got it home and checked the fluid. First i took off the top bolt and nothing came out and i couldn't feel any fluid with my finger. Took out the bottom bolt and a about 1.5 qt's came out. I found some metal flakes (no big chunks) and a plastic piece on the bottom.

My question is does a transfer case act the same as a transmission when it's low on fluid? Or is this case done for?

Also it's an np 208 t-case.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

It SHOULDN"T. It's all mecanically driven as far as I know. The fluid is just in there for lubrication, but since you got it empty, it's not a big deal to pull the tailshaft housing off and take a look around.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

plastic piece.....not good, there is a pump in there that lubricates the input bearing, as per your question, the t-case is all mechanical so no, low fluid should not make it act like an auto tranny, i would do a little more analysis to figure out what's going on

4. az84chevy

Ok so i'll have to take off the tailshaft and see whats going on.

5. resurrected_jimmy

I've never had a 208 but if its set up like a 241 I'm not sur what your gonna see by pulling the tail shaft housing. I'm not convinced this is totally a t-case problem

6. az84chevy

how can i trouble shoot to make sure it is the t-case. Reasons i think its the t-case:

1. When i put it in drive, reverse, etc i can feel/ hear it shift into the gears.

2. When i put it in 4wd the front driveshaft wont turn at all.

3. When i drained the fluid, there wasnt much left and the transmission fluid is good.

Thanks,

Kevin

7. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

T-case

Sounds like you're on the right track. You'll know for sure once you get to crawling over it for a bit.

8. resurrected_jimmy

longislander is right, t-case.....

put it in 4wd, crawl under it and spin front drive shaft with front hubs unlocked and listen for grinding noises or if you feel anything not normal

with truck in park and t-case in 4wd front shaft should not turn,

9. az84chevy

Alright so i added more fluid and popped it into 4wd with the hubs unlocked. It will move in both 4 hi and 4 lo, but will not move in 2wd. Going to try and see if it still a bit low on fluid, but im suspecting the t-case is still bad.

10. resurrected_jimmy

check your linkage and make sure that when the lever is in 2wd it is actually all the way in the proper gear,

otherwise go ahead and pull it, something broke

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

not sure if this will help or not, but my NP208 is doing something similar.

When in 4hi the truck wont move, freewheels. both other gears work perfectly. We (me and my buddy who do the work), have got it pretty much narrowed down to shift forks and gears.

definatly pull and open.

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The white plastic probably looks like it has been "rotated on under pressure" and chewed up a bit (best I can do)...your range fork and mode fork each have teflon (plastic) pads on them that wear if the case is run low on fluid at some time and/or if the chain is slightly binding because of the same condition...this puts odd pressure on the range fork somehow and can cause it to wear to a knife edge... the range fork is Stamped metal, while the mode fork is a Cast piece (or so it appeared to me)

If you get another TC from a donor vehicle, you may be buying the same problem (just hasn't happened yet)....bearing/seal, chain and range fork can all be done for about $230-$250 in one afternoon...and you have the added bonus of knowing exactly what is in your TC...if money is an issue (like when Ain't it) prolly get a donor for $100-$300 depending on the market where you live..

my chain was binding even tho I couldn't find a Mark on it anywhere

Ya need Good snap ring pliers and some patience...I tapped my bearings in with a wooden dowel