Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case problem?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5HIGH, Aug 8, 2005.

1. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 blazer lifted with 35s. Me & and firend of mine were messing around in 4 low without the hubs locked and heard a loud pop. I put it back in 2 wheel and its fine, back in 4x4 and same thing going forward only. Did i break something in the t-case. If so what kind is it? NP-241 or 208. where can i find one or should i have mine rebuilt? Thanks

2. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE???????? THANKS

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you put it 4wd with the hubs locked? Does it still work or not? Did you check the drive shaft to if its binding anywhere?

4. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

havent locked the hubs yet and tryed it but someone suggested to disconnect the front driveshaft and try it. if it clunks again then its in the tcase. anyways are they hard to rebuild or better to find a used one?

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

not a run of the mill joe schmo im bored and wounder if. if u can do a motor or tranny and have some tools and a CLEAN work bench(i have 3 but none are claen :o ) u can do its easiest of the drivetrain to work on imo. or u can get one from a junk yard tobe easy and gamble. i like rebuilding mien so i know its done right or i can only be mad at myself. saves a jail visit :D

try spinning drive shaft with hubs unlocked and xfer case in N- will tell u if drive shaft is the prob.

6. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. im pretty mechanically inclined but never tore apart a tcase. im sure once its apart i should be able to tell what took a **** right? thanks

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

yeah, pretty simple as far as that goes-ill be doing mine again in few mo

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Did you recently install a lift kit? Mine did this after my lift was installed. It was the transfer case popping out of gear when I would accelerate. It could be as simple as adjusting the linkage :o

9. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

no new lift. just a loud bang when i jump on it in forward gears, and only in 4x4. getting ready to drop the trans case out this weekend. Ill keep you guys posted. any other suggestions appreciated!

10. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

My '77 sub did that with a 203 in it. I believe the chain had stretched enough to allow the chain to jump ahead on the gears causing a pop or bang when in 4 wheel drive. Might be the same thing with your case since it is chain driven.