Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Jun 6, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

96 Chevy k3500 pickup with borg warner case.

I got rearended on the 2nd of May and just got the truck driveable today. Now the transfer case is fawked. It's fine in 2hi, if i put it in neutral it goes in but grinds like crazy if tranny is in park, but in gear it doesn't grind??? If I try and put it in 4hi or 4lo it will not go at all and grinds like no other with tranny in any gear... Also pulling it out of neutral with truck on in any gear makes the whole truck jump and go boom then goes into 2hi.

I need this truck going for Blazer Fest in a couple weeks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i dont know if this would cause it but make shure your fluid pump is secure. Alot of times the ford guys i run whith have thet come loose then it winds up on the shaft and the pickup tube is nolonger in the resevor, then case goes boom. Its a prob whith most BW cases.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

MEPR is right, Peterson's just put this in their new issue. Use a sheet metal screw to secure the pump so it doesn't slip up the shaft.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Just thinking out loud here, when you got rearended, did it drive the axle ahead? The slip yoke didnt bottom out and slamming th impact into your transfer case did it?that would probably cause some damage. just a thought.

:edit:
    I just remembered that your truck has a steady bearing, so in reality that would have to be sheared off and the whole shaft shoved in one piece with out folding at the bearing. So i guess that isnt your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If I ever get my T-case into nuetral I have to shut the motor off to get it into any other range. The tranny's parasitic rotation is enough to keep everything rotating in the T-case as well. There is no synchro or anything in the T-case so as long as it's running it will grind coming out of nuetral.

I always pull right through neutral in one motion. Honestly it sounds like your T-case is working just fine. Chances are high that if there was any damage from the wreck it would be related to the case cracking or something similar.

If this is a 241 you should be careful with it. The range collar isn't the strongest part of the case and can quite easily be damaged or stripped if you try to go from low to high range or neutral to any range incorrectly.

Rene

6. willyswanter

It is not a 241, it's Borg Warner.

The transfer case worked fine before the incident. I could shift in and out of any range with no grinding easily with teh truck in neutral. It was never a problem, and I mean never.

The axle did get pushed forward and the slip yoke in the center carrier bearing did bottom out causing the plug in the end of the slip yoke to pop out. But there are no signs of external damage to the t-case. Also, the t-case has a fixed yoke.

The transmission shifts fine and it runs fine in 2wd hi except that the front shaft turns. Which it shouldn't... The axle is disengaged, I pulled the shaft and could turn the pinion easily but the transfer case front output would never disengage no matter what I did, it was locked into the rear shaft no matter what.

7. tRustyK5

I'd suspect something is FUBAR in there then...I'm not familiar with the BW cases but it sounds as though it is stuck in 4WD at the very least. The impact could have done any number of bad things...

Have you finalized the claim with insurance or can you still go back to them for this?

Rene

8. willyswanter

Nope, when I did the claim I left it open for a test drive... So anything I find in the test drive is still available to be worked on. Looks like it's going to the dealer for a quote now... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. tRustyK5

On the bright side you will prolly get a new T-case.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. willyswanter

Yeah but I'm going to miss Blazer Fest 03 and the magazine coverage and the poker run and the mini-rubicon AHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm pissed... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. willyswanter

I finally managed to find the tag, it's a Borg warner 4401.

And I've come to the conclusion that it's stuck in 4wd. The front and rear shafts, no matter where the shifter is, are connected together... It's like the coupler that connects the front and rear was able to connect without the shifter being moved, then the shifter is out of position on it so it can't shift it out of 4wd...

Anyway, basically what I'm saying is that the transfer case is in 4hi with the shifter in 2hi or N. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. tRustyK5

That's pretty well what I figured when you said the front shaft turned no matter where the shifter was...bound to be a paperweight at a GM dealer near you pretty soon unless they figure it'd be cheaper to repair.

Sorry to hear you're gonna miss out on the fun...you should sue for mental anguish!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rene

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Have the insurance company inspect it, then have them write you the check. Then go buy a used one and slap it in so you can go wheeling. Just a though.

Dan

14. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

im not familiar whith the newer BW cases but is it a 2 rail or 1 rail tranfer case. If i remeber right some of the old ford cases are 2 rail (2wd is to the top right and then 4wd is top left and 4lo is bottm left, the shifting is in an upside down L). But if its an electronis then the motor is probly shot.

15. willyswanter

It's manual but uses a lever arm to shift... Like an auto tranny has. Heres a diagram:

DIAGRAM