Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Protection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 24, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

I've just taken my 10-day-old '83 Jimmy's sidesteps off and had a good look at what the lowest point is: clearly the transfer case, about an inch lower than the gear box skid plate and way lower than the frame.

That's bad news for me as I drive in sand dunes, and when cresting the central part of the frame often slides over the dune with all the truck's weight on it. Sometimes you get stuck there with all 4 wheels spinning, and that's definitely not going to work with the transfer case holding up the truck.

Without swapping in another transfer case - I have the N208 - what's the best way to protect it?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Build a slider/skid plate for it

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Or the next step would be to clock the transfercase up. If you do a search for "clocking" you'll find plenty about it.

I have the same problem with rocks that you do with dunes, so I will be clocking my transfercase.

Here the truck was sitting only on the skid plate for the transfercase:
    [​IMG]

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

skid plate

I ride dunes here all the time and am constantly riding the skid plate over a razorback, definitely what you need. Just remember to wash the sand out of it each time you wheel. I always get quite the pile of sand from it when I hose it out, which means it's working. :) I think Ive made my yard a couple inches taller with all the sand I bring home from the dunes and wash off the truck.

5. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

From what I can tell in my newbie fog of ignorance - but I will learn, people, I will learn - clocking the transfer case means turning it on its side? It seems a bit beyond me at this stage as wouldn't that mess with the driveshafts, too? Here's some great pics I found from the search: http://www.socalbigdawgs.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album56&page=1

Now fabbing a skid plate might be more within reach... I'll have to have a good look underneath tomorrow and see what the possibilities are. I can't leave it hanging there or it'll just mean I'll bust it.

chevyin, sounds like we drive the same kind of terrain - what's your skid plate look like? Measurements? Where did you buy it, or did you make it? My yard IS sand!!!! :haha:

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Heres mine. It is made out of 1/4" plate and is 1/2" thick on the main bottom skid with 1/4" sides. The "mini" skid is also 1/4". It works well for sliding over rocks but I do hit it pretty often. I also added a brace for the rear part. I can jack up the whole truck on the skid and it doesnt even budge.
    I do plan to clock it a little bit (dont want to clock it fully since that wont work with my 52's and stock front DS). Then I am going to make a new crossmember/skid for more clearance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]