Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suthrnchvyguy89, Oct 22, 2004.

1. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

this is gonna sound kinda pathetic but im cant figure out what i have to do to switch my truck to 4wd low. its an '89 k5 with the stock transfer case. To go to 4H all i gotta do is pull it down from 2wd, but the first time i did it after i bought it, it didnt really want to go so i kinda had to force it, i guess it did that cuz the previous owner never put it in 4x4 so i had to break it in again. But anywayz, i cant figure out how to get it to 4L. The diagram on the shifter shows that after you pull it down to go to 4H you push it to the right to go to N then down again to 4L but for some reason it doesnt want to go down from N to 4L and sometimes it doesnt even want to go to N. do you think i should force it again or am i doin sumthin wrong? some directions would be greatly appreciated, and pleaze dont give me alot of sh!t about askin this question, i already said i was new to the whole 4x4 life style.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mine gets a little sticky, sometimes you have to give it a little force, not like foot or something. i usually just move it quickly and it goes right in. if that doesn't work, check the linkage underneath, it may be binding. its on the pass side near the rear but above the tranny. if its not binding or hitting something, then it may be intenal. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 205 is balky going into 4 lo--it goes in much easier if its rolling slowly,(5-10mph)and I put the tranny in neutral and shift the transfer into 4 lo while its rolling,and it usually slips right in--try it standing still and the shifter feels like it would bend,and still not go in!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put it in N and then do it in one motion. If you stop half way thru everything starts spinning up and when you do manage to engage it , it goes in with a lot of gear grinding /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. tocsin

tocsin Registered Member

I've also had luck sometimes backing up 20 feet or so before changing for whatever reason, but this usually works best for getting her OUT of 4L. I always do it at a dead stop - but if the 5-10 MPH works for the other guy, give it a shot. The smooth motion is the ticket like they said. I go from 2H down, over, and down again in one continuous pull.

Also, do you have locking hubs? And if so, are they locked or unlocked. Experiment with both. With them locked, the front shaft should theoretically be matching the speed of the main shaft, whereas unlocked will let the transfer case "give" a bit.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

have you been putting the transmission in neutral before shifting the t-case from the 2hi-4hi to the 4lo ?

7. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

ok i got it down into 4L by doin that one continuous pull everyone was talkin bout. i heard to never do it while its in motion even though it will make it switch better, because it beats the crap outta your gears. i had some trouble gettin it outta 4L though it took me about 4 or 5 trys in neutral but i finally got it. thanks
    btw i have the stock automatic hubs.