Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case question????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elevator Man, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

Theve four metric bolts that hold my 208 too my 700R4 keep backing out, I've tried everything from locktite to some bad *ss star lock washers from work. I just apllied the locktite and washers drove 5 miles and te tranny is leaking again and bolts are loose does anyone have any advise THANX

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

are they stripped out? seen lots of them stripped out.
    what color locktight are you using, and are you letting it dry before you drive it?

3. Elevator Man

I am useing blue locktite, and I let it dry over 24 hours. The bolts seem to tighten up good. they seem like they are not striped out but with it being aluminum the treads in the tranny could be bad. would it be possible to drill them out bigger and tap the bottom holes? I can through olt the top two but not the bottom. let me know what you thimk. THANX

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could possibly do it, but you are take a bit of material out. ive used 3/8" helicoils before with good results.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah just get a 3/8 helicoil kit with the drill bit and tap. I did mine about two years ago and havent had a problem yet.

6. Elevator Man

What is a helicoil kit? I've never heard off that. But if it worked for you guys i'll give it a shot. one off my friends told me to put a brace from the bell housing on the tranny to the 208 and it would fix this problem but I think I still need to re tap the holes I'm sure they are messed up. let me know about the helicoil kit and where I can get one. THANX for all the help guys!!!

7. MTBLAZER89

8. Elevator Man

Thanx for the help man. I'm gonna get one tomorrow and work on it Friday. I've gotta get this fixed we're going to Hot Springs to the superlift off road park Saturday for a ride. is the helicoil kit pretty self explanitory, is there a certain length I need to get, or does it matter?????

9. MTBLAZER89

No problem. Yeah the kit is pretty simple. I believe you'll need the kit I linked for 3/8-16 coarse thread. The kit will tell you what size drill bit to use then you tap the hole and thread in the insert with the included tool. I used some blue locktite on each one as well as new bolts and lockwashers. Hope ya get it all done in time. Oh yeah watch the shavings when ya drill and tap so that they don't get inside of anything:wink1:

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Didn't have a brace from the factory? Its a rod with flattened ends, runs from bellhsg lower right, to the two big thread holes on the side of the fr drive extension.

11. Elevator Man

The brace was missing when I bought it. The rig used to have a diesel in it and I imagine they trashed the brace when they threw the gas burner in. If the helicoil kit doesn't do the trick I am going to fab up a brace I guess.

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Definetely do the Heli-coil fix, but you'll probably destroy that too, without the brace. Oh man, a diesel VIN already converted to gas is like Gold here in CA; no smog.:D

13. Elevator Man

OMG, I pulled the 208 today and discovered one of the ears on the tranny is broke. the rest of the holes allready had helicoils in them, and are wallerd out some kinda bad. I've gotta heli-arc so I'm gonna weld the ear back on and try to do some thing with the holes. I don't know if I need to junk this tranny and get another. this 700 is only about 2 years old and does not have any problems besides the housing. If I can't get this to work I I can't deside if I want to get a new tranny or just get a new housing and put the guts out of the broke one into it. I've thought about trying to get a 4-speed and a gear drive transfer case. let me know what you guys think. sorry for rambling. THANX

14. Elevator Man

I heli-arced the ear back on th tranny today and built a brace. I'm gonna stuff it all in tomorow. thanx for all the help