Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Miclo, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Miclo

Miclo Registered Member

Rather curious what is going on with my 1973 Jimmy. I recently bought this and I just did the front end, axle lock and all runs well(drive Line turns), However when I put the tranfer case in 4-lo it shifts but is does not seem to engage(unlocked axles and front drive line does not turn)?? what is going on here, am I in trouble?>?> Thanks for all your help!!

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I don't know for sure what it is, but I have heard of it happening before. Something about the shift forks not engaging the front driveline.

3. Miclo

Miclo Registered Member

I read a post like that about a week ago...However there is no grinding noises here,it appears to be a smooth shift into 4-lo. THanks for your lightening fast reply!! ;-)

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

if it is a 205 then you should climb under and give the lower shift rail a smack when you have the shifter in what you think is 4lo. try turning the front driveshaft while applying pressure to that shift rail. if the rear goes into low range and the front doesnt even when you bash it then you must have a damaged shift fork or it is no longer properly affixed to the shift rail. not that difficult to drop out the front drive parts from the case while it is in the truck if it comes to that.

5. Miclo

Miclo Registered Member

Arrrgghhhh Shift fork problems!! I am going to try the smack, however I dont think the rear is engaging in 4-lo either!!