Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FunBlazer, Aug 3, 2002.

1. FunBlazer

FunBlazer Registered Member

My transfer case keeps popping out of 4H and going back to 2wd /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . It's a 87 w/700R4 & np208 is this a normal thing or is there a problem somewhere. I'm new to this 4x4 sene, so some of my questions may sound a little dumb to you expirenced people. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

I gather that this happens on the older NP203's ... I've been fortunate that none of mine have so far. Solution is to adjust the control linkage, which can get out of whack with the body shifting over time.

I'd imagine that the general procedure is the same for yours; I'd get under the truck and have a partner shift the lever back-n-forth, and watch to see how it works.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My original 208 had this problem. I took it apart and found that there was a rod that went from the front of the transfer case to the back. this rod was about at the center of the case and the shifting stuff ( lack of a better discription, forks mabey) slid back and forth on it. The back of the rod sat into a boss in the back of the case and the boss had been wallered out causing all the shifting stuff (again) to become very sloppy. I just got a new back housing piece from junkyard and changed it. Did the whole thing while it was in the truck.