Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case question?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Feb 7, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i have the 208 t-case..now i keep reading about how the 208 really sucks and all this other junk, but it seems ok to me..i dont really know much about transfer cases, so what should i know about mine? if i ever replace it, what is the best one i could buy that is not an outrageous (spelling?) price?? thanks guys!

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Just keep it full of ATF and don't bash it on a rock, and it will last forever.

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I dunno about lasting forever but there are things you can upgrade on it using corvette stuff. Then it will last forever. I'd wait until it gives out first. I think this is the same case that Stephen uses on the green jimmy but his has all the mods to it. I don't think anyone has a slip yoke eliminator kit out for that one yet.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only thing you can do is to keep it full of fluid, and be cool with the right foot. Don't be brutal to it or you are asking for trouble. If you keep your foot under control then the thing that will probably go first, especially with that 6.5L is the tranny. There is nothing you can do to the tcase to make it stronger that I am aware of. Also Stephen's Jimmy might have come with that originally, but he doesn't run one anymore. He runs the Doubler setup he makes. An NP205/203 combo. The 208 should last. Just make sure to keep the tcase from smacking or dragging rocks as it is aluminum, and it is pretty thin. It WILL break if you smack a rock with it.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    there are things you can upgrade on it using corvette stuff

[/ QUOTE ]
    What Corvette ever came w/ a x-fer case, 208 or otherwise? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

WTF? you mean you're not aware of the short run 4x4 corvette back in late 80's? Shesh! Everyone has heard about that.

ok ok /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I must have lost conciousness there for a minute. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif People keep telling me I need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Bygons /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

from my experiance with a 208 the enternals are fine its the case that makes it weak , i have never ran a 208 , all the ones i have got with it i took it out and traded it off or sold it and put a 205 in its place , i have a friend that runs the 208 in his truck and he has busted 3 of them , everysingle time he dropped a u joint it split the case somewhere , other than that he hasnt had a problem with them

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

sounds good..well yea with a 6.5L its not a speed demon.. so i think im ok there. but i'm in the process of putting a nice fat skid plate underneath it all, its got one that protects it right now, its nice, but anyways thanx...

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah basically if you have good U joints, and a skiddplate you should be fine, unless you run a blown 500+ HP engine.