Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Aug 19, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I have a np203 with auto hubs in my newly acquired Blazer. It also doesn't have a front driveshaft in it currently. I drove the rig home, 40-50mph. This means that the case has the conversion kit in it already? I have searched the forum, so much info, but I think I have just confused myself even more.
    I believe that if it doesn't have the conversion kit, without the front driveshaft it should just slip and not go anywhere. It also chirps the tires when you put the skinny peddle on the floor. The person that I got this Blazer off of, for free, knows absolutely nothing. Can someone set me straight?

Thanks
    Chris

2. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

Well, if you drove it anywhere with the Transfer Case "unlocked", it definately has had some changes..
    --
    The NP203 "full-time" transfer has 4 "ranges". L/L-lock H/H-lock..these transfer cases ALWAYS are in 4x4

A "part-time" transfer has 4 "ranges" ..L-2x4 / L-4x4 (frequently called lock) and ...H-2x4 / H-4x4

These transfer cases are only in 4 wheel drive when the transfer case lever is in 4x4 otherwise they are in 2 wheel rear drive...

The Full Time unit normaly runs through both diffs, with a differential in the transfer case splitting the drive front to rear..just like a front or rear differential splits the drive between the left and right wheels...

Just like with a "non-posi" or "locker" diff, when one wheel is on something slippery and the other has traction the slippery wheel will spin,

With the Transfer case "unlocked", if the front is on something slippery and the rear has traction the front wheels will spin and vise versa

So the Full Time transfer has a Lock position to use on slippery surfaces

If you run without the front driveshaft, and do not put it in Lock, it will not move.. If you Lock it.., it will move but the output shaft to the front diff will turn, even though is is not connected to anything...

These transfer cases, while almost as strong as a 205, WERE NOT designed to run like this and it can break the locking gear inside the transfer case...
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The previous owner drove the rig like this for two years(without a front driveshaft). So if the truck is still going this means that it has had modifications in the transfer case. If it hasn't had modifications, from the previous post this transfer case should have broken by now? Is there any way for me to visually tell without opening the transfer case? I think I'll go out and put it in all positions and see if I can get it to slip. Any input is appreciated.

Chris

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

get under the truck and turn the front output shaft on the transfer case by hand. if it turns, and you just drove the truck, its got a part time kit. If it doesnt turn, then you A) dont have the part time kit or B) Have the part time kit but are "accidentally" in 4WD currently.

mike

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Thanks Mike, that is the exact post I was looking for, nice and simple.