Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1986chevy_rider, May 3, 2007.

1. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

My 203 wont go into 4 high i can get it in to 4 low but not high what do I do got mud bogs next weekend.

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You have a part time kit? WIth teh hubs locked try rocking the truck back and forth while trying to shift it in 4Hi. Does it go in all other gears? holla back.

3. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

You should be able to adjust your tcase linkage, get a Chiltons or Hanes manual and it will walk you through it.

4. 1986chevy_rider

Well its kinf of rigged they put on hubs to lock and the x-case doesnt have part time kit in it. but I think I can get it in to all the low gears and thats it.

5. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

That doesn't sound right???????

I thought to have lock-outs/hubs you had to install a part time kit? Maybe someone else can jump in and tell you.:confused:

6. 1986chevy_rider

the drive line still spins just not locked at the hubs

7. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

sounds like a full time with lock outs...its just your linkage. Mine was doing the same thing, only it wouldnt go into low lock

8. 1986chevy_rider

ok I think that Im gonna try to figure out my linkage and how do i work on that not sure about the 203 cant wait to get my 465 205 combo!!! in a one ton frame

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Sometimes ignorant folks put lock outs on without moding the t-case in hopes of better fuel economy, less wear on tires etc etc. Any book I have read about it says this is BAD on the case. Good luck getting up in that linkage. IIRC- that linkage has no adjustment. It's solid rods isnt it? You ever grease or smear oil on your shifters under there? Dirt can make them bind up and hard to shift. I just flat out don't like 203s. You will like your 205- I promise.

10. 1986chevy_rider

Yup I cant wait Ive had the 208 the dredded 203 and soon the 205. gonna be good. Gonna have to try to greese them solid shift link up and see what i can do.

11. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

Put the tcase in neutral, make sure it's in neutral, undo the shifter linkages(back off the nuts on both sides). There is a hole in the side of the shifter & both levers, move the levers until you can put a drill bit (if I remember correct it's like 3/16")through the hole & both levers, then tighten the linkages to that spot.
    That re-sets the shifter linkages & the case to neutral.
    The case might not be in neutral when the shifter says it is, you have to make sure the case is in neutral, otherwise it will be wrong.

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

This kinda makes sense but if there is no adjustment in the linkage what is he adjusting? I don't get the "then tighten the linkages to that spot." part???

13. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

have you ever seen a 203 t-case? it has adjustable levers/linkages.

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

It's been a few years but yea I swapped mine out for a 205. I just don't recall the linkages being threaded/ajustable. Thats why I was aksing for verification on my second post.

15. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

yea teh 203 is adjustable, the shifter assembly looks like some one at nasa came up with to just complicate things, ditched mine for a twin stick. If you have lock out hubs and a full time case(no part time conversion) I assume you are driving around every day in 4high loc(front drive shaft spinning) because the differenital would just spin the front shaft if not in loc, kind of defeats the point but if you have it why not i guess. i know the haynes manual has a how to on adjust the linkage as stated before.