Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Quote..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ncbloodhound, Sep 22, 2004.

1. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

My transfer case is leaking and I took it to a shop today. They said the rear seal and the gasket need to be replaced. They estimated $275 in labor and $50 in parts. How does that sound?

I have limited skills/tools, is this something I should try to tackle myself?

Thanks for the advice.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

labors the killer, the two parts are cheaper then the $50 they quoted.

as far as i know it is just pull the driveline, unbolt the back, replace gasket, remove old seal put in new seal reinstall tailshaft. replace driveline and check fluid level.

if it is a fixed yoke it is a little hearder since youhave to get the yoke off the t case.

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Just rebilt my t-case yesterday. But if all you need to do is replace the rear seal where the slip yoke goes it is very easy. Pull the driveline out, remove the 4, 7/16" bolts at the axle ujoint and slide the driveline out. Then use a screwdriver to pry out the seal. Then use a rubber mallet to tap the new one in. What gasket are they talking about? There are four bolts holding the tailhousing on, and four more holding the spedo housing. They are easy to get off you just need some snapring pliers to remove the snapring that you can see when you remove the rear tailhousing. I jsut used rtv sealant.
    Good luck!!!

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when i did mine i paid 230 for a rebuild kit plus another 100 for a new chain from JB Conversion, i took it apart and then took it to a shop (broke my heart to do it) and gave them another 100 bucks to put it back together

5. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    What gasket are they talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The silicon between the 2 halfs of the transfer case.

6. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    as far as i know it is just pull the driveline, unbolt the back, replace gasket, remove old seal put in new seal reinstall tailshaft. replace driveline and check fluid level.

if it is a fixed yoke it is a little hearder since youhave to get the yoke off the t case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I had to drop the whole thing... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can do it yoru self. You have to pull it out. Then take out the plugs around the back, where the slip goes, theres snaprings, undo those, take out any sensors (if applicable) then unbolt the case halfs. Clean it, new silicone. Then put it back together.
    Anyone...did I forget something?

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i just did the rear seal and the input seal on my 241 really easy, the input was a PITA to get out but other than that really easy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    i just did the rear seal and the input seal on my 241 really easy, the input was a PITA to get out but other than that really easy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I think I will try this weekend.