Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Mar 18, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Hi guys. Tomorrow I am removing my NP 241 from my 89 for the first time. It's leaking really bad and I want to check out how everything looks internally. Do any of you all have any tricks or tips in aiding this process. I have never removed and torn down a transfer case before. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Remove the driveshafts, braces and crossmember. Then unbolt the transfer case. Get under there on your back, pull the t-case back then lower it down onto your chest. It's not that heavy.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not much to it. Just remember for future reference that a 241 is about the only case you can get away with hoisting yourself. A 203 or 205 would probably break ribs.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you don't have to remove the crossmember as long as you unbolt the tcase from the adapter instead of the adapter from the tranny.

don't forget to disconect the linkage and the wire for the 4WD light at the top of the tcase.

they weight about 80 lbs, and you should be able to get it up and down no problem.

as for dissembly, ive never done it so i wouldn't know. i know there are alot of needle bearings, so be prepared for those as you need every last one of them.

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I want to say good snap ring pliers are needed for a rebuilt/teardown, but i only say this cause it think i read it somewhere:confused:

Most involved i got with my TCase was looking at the mangled gears after i broke a snap ring and the tranny guy rebuilt it for me :grin:

6. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Well everything went smoothly except a few things that really worried me. First off it was obvious that the transfer case had been removed before. Upon removing it I couldn't help but notice that one of the trans mount bolts was just a standard bolt and not a grade 6. Also there was one bolt missing from the transmission to the adapter and the other was finger tight. FOUND MY LEAK! A few other bolts I pulled were the incorrect size as well as damaged. Removing the case was not bad and while cleaning it I noticed my tail shaft was cracked in two places. Luckly I have a friend who has one that's hopefully still good. Inside everything looked really good and clean. The chain was good and all the gears were in excellent shape. Thanks for the help!

Matt