Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1975k5, Nov 25, 2001.

1. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I have a 75 Blazer with a 350/350/203 combo. The transmission is leaking fluid where the transfer case and the tranny meet. Can I remove the transfer case and leave the tranny in the blazer or do I need to drop the entire assembly? Also, is this seal difficult to replace? Does this project go into the "leave it to the pros" category?

Many thanks.

Tom

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if it is the gasket on the adapter, it is no problem. the problem will be getting down that tranfer case. I used a tranny jack and it was still pretty difficult. but i am a newbie to wrenching on trannys...

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

First, is it leaking at the transmission to adapter seal, or adapter to transfer case seal? This makes a big difference in the amount of work. If it is between the trans and adapter, you can unbolt the trans from the adapter and pull case back far enough to clean and get new seal (don't forget shaft disconnect and probably tranfer case linkage and wire). If it is in between case and adapter, you will have to do same as above and then unbolt adapter from case and then clean and replace seal. The 203 is a Bit(*& in regard to weight so use good jack and I after last episode I had, I would make a mount to put in jack to cradle the dam thing. All in all, plan on 4 - 6 hours for this and have an assistant. Just my 2 cents worth from average weekend mech.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Last time I removed my tcase I rented a tranny jack for 12 bucks. It makes it a snap.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Last time I removed my tcase I rented a tranny jack for 12 bucks. It makes it a snap.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Yea, rent a tranny jack? Who would a thought. WISH I HAD, to floor jacks, 3 guys and pain in the (*&amp;

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a heathy floor jack with plenty of reach. I made a jig to hold the case. It's a peice of 3/4 inch ply wood. Stack of BIG fender washers between the ply wood and the jack (sadle removed) with a 5/8 bolt through the howl mess and through the hole where the saddle usualy sits. I took come 2x4 and 2x6 scrap and made a cradle that fits the 203. Makes it a snap to remove by my self. the stack of washers lets me angle it to help when installing and removing.
    Most tranny shops install the leak for you. They just RTV the heck out of the old gasket and slap it in. Then it starts leaking after a while.
    The 203 has about 6 bolts throug the adpator that will need to be removed to get the case out. Once the case is out then you can get to the 4 bolts that hold the tranny to the adaptor. To remvoe the adaptor you wiull need to put a peice of plywood under the tranny pan and jack it up a hairto get the weight off the adaptor. The adaptor has a O-Ring that seals to the tranny that with age will give it up. ANother thing that sometimes (well more than sometimes it's happend on both my 203 trucks) is the bolt to the adaptor will strip out the threads into the aluminum tranny housing. if that happend then you need to take one of the bolt with you and go find a Helicoil kit (NAPA is a good place for these). This will let you put new threads in the tranny. Little grease or ATF on the o--ring when you put it together to keep it from getting screwed up.
    You will need to drain the case. The tranny should be fine if your on level ground. some ATF will drain that's in the adaptor and tail but not much.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper