Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case spitting up from breather

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took a short trip on the interstate last night, and this morning I noticed trans fluid under my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Got to looking around under there, and fluid was everywhere: on the passenger side spring and shock, in the engine compartment, on the starter, you name it. Then it hits me, the fluid was coming from the extended breather line from the T-case that I have routed into the engine compartment.

So, my question is, what's up? How bad is this? I have a 208 T-case, and I've had this happen before, but last time it was when I left the lockout hubs engaged and cruised around about 80 that way. This time they were not engaged, although I was messing around in 4-LO right before I left for home.

Any advice? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The same thing happened to me last winter. I had to run in 4Hi for about 60 miles because the highway was in pretty rough shape. When I got to the store I was going to, I got out of the truck and smelled ATF. I looked under the truck and just about sh!t myself when I saw all the tranny fluid that was coating the undercarriage of my truck.

After crawling around under the truck(in 6" of snow /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I realized the ATF was coming from the 208 vent line. I grabbed my channel locks and undid the fill plug expecting to find a 1/2 empty transfer case. It was only down about 1 cup of fluid. I topped it up and headed home. After about 10 miles I got out and checked and it seemed that the TC has stopped spitting fluid out the vent.

Anyhow, that's my story. All I can think is that the extended highway use in 4Hi in the cold weather caused a little too much pressure to form inside the case. I also learned that a little ATF goes a long way!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It may be worthwhile to take off your vent line and make sure it's not blocked causing pressure to build up inside the transfer case.

3. Mastiff

The weird thing is that in this case I wasn't in 4-wheel drive at all. I went out and checked that my hubs were actually disengaged (jacked up the front axle and spun the tires). I can't believe it would have gotten so hot from a 5-minute drive in 4-Lo followed by a half hour drive at 65. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I pulled the filler plug though, and it's not down at all as far as I can tell. I stuck my finger in there and it's oily without any reaching.

Here's a question: should I be able to turn my front driveshaft by hand if the T-case is in neutral and the hubs are disengaged? I thought I should be able to, but I can't. Something is catching in the T-case. My driveway has only a real shallow slope though, and it will roll downhill with the T-case in neutral and the trans in park. I'm kinda confused about that. The truck will roll, but if I put on the parking brake and crawl under there, I can't turn the shaft. Should the front and rear shafts be tied together even though the T-case is in neutral, like it's just disengaged from the tranny?

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    With hubs disengaged, and T case in what appears to be neutral, there is nothing stopping you from spinning the shaft. Soundslike you have a sticky shift fork or somthing...?

5. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    With hubs disengaged, and T case in what appears to be neutral, there is nothing stopping you from spinning the shaft. Soundslike you have a sticky shift fork or somthing...?

[/ QUOTE ]

What it seems like is that the tranny is disengaged from the T-case, but the front and rear are still tied together. It'll roll, but with the parking brake on, I can't turn the front. I can see when I try to turn the front that the rear shaft is trying to turn and then catching at the rear diff.

It is kinda hard to tell where exactly neutral is supposed to be though.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

With the T-case in 2WD and the front hubs unlocked, the front driveshaft should spin freely. It sounds like the shift linkage or the shift forks are messed up and leaving the 4WD engaged all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

i hd this prob once on a ford 208. My prob was it was stuckin 2 wheel drive though. The problem was a collar inside the case, it slides over a gear isnside to engage and disengae 4 wheel. The edge of the gear the collar slide over had some rough edges from the gear grinding slightly when engage low range, so the collar got jammed. I had to split the case and file down the rough edges. Make sure your linkage isnt binding anywhere on the outside first. The linkage should force this collar back to 2 wheel drive operation in your case, but a spring actually engages 4 wheel drive, so in my case i had nothing mechanical to engage 4 wheel besides this spring, which wasnt enough. Go through all of you detents with your shifter and make sure it is going all the way into 2Hi. If the shifter is going into 2HI, and the TC isn't, your going to have to split the case and poke around inside. Dont worry its not as complicated as you would think. The sucky part is pulling the case.

8. Mastiff

I tested with it in 2HI and the hubs disengaged and I can turn the front drivershaft then. I think maybe I'm just not finding neutral between 4HI and 4LO... or maybe it's screwed up in some other way. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I am kinda concerned about the breather fluid spewager though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Mastiff

Wanted to bump this topic up in case someone could offer advice who only checks in on weekdays. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif