Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case stabilizing bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larsfrog, Jul 10, 2004.

1. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

I just swapped by transfer case (np208) for a new one and while doing so I found that my stabilizing bar was not bolted to the transmission. I found the right bolt and tried to bolt it on and noticed that there is a hole but the hole is not deep enough and there are no threads (not a broken bolt). I do not have the original tranny in there but it is still a 700. What should I do, has anyone else ran into this? Does the stabilizing bar play a crucial role for my transfer case? There is a flange coming off of my transmission in the general area but I would need some sort of adapter to bolt it to, is there such a thing?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have anything like that on my 208, but I have a th400. The only one I've ever seen a stabilizing bar on is a np203 xfer case.

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

my 208 has one...but I have a th350 (originally had a 700R4 tho)

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

my 208 has the support bar and yes i think it is very important. there are threads in the bottom of that opening. pull the support bar off and get a long bolt and thread it in there to ensure that the opening is nice and clean. once the bolt bottoms out, spray the side with some white paint (or any color that stands out) and back it out. use the paint marking as a guide as to how deep the opening is than add the thickness of the support bar opening than subtract about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. the bolt diameter is the same as the others. You may need to play around with a few different lengths. keep in mind that the support bar opening is about 3/16s thick so the bolt is going to be a bit longer than the others…

if you do not find threads and the hole seems shallow, something is broken off in the hole…

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have anything like that on my 208, but I have a th400. The only one I've ever seen a stabilizing bar on is a np203 xfer case.

[/ QUOTE ]my 400/205 has one..........

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Those bars are a FANTASTIC thing to have and I think that some form of stabilizing(sp) bar should be used on any married tranny/transfer-case that does not use a side torque mount .
    To the best of my knowledge GM started to use the bars in the very late seventy's - a few years after theyu stopped using the side torque mounts and realized that they needed to beef up the tranny cases around the bellhousing area and add those motor mount strut bars ( AKA "K" cases )
    MY vote is to use the bars when ever possible .
    Tom

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My '87 with 700R4 and 208 has the bar.