Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case support brace

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Ok, my 68 truck came with a 4 speed and this side mount that bolts to the frame and the side of the transfer case. I got rid of the 4 speed and put in a TH475 and a NP 205. The old transfer case had 2 holes for mounting this bracket up. Well the case that is on the auto does not. Im considering just using a 79 trucks long steel rod type that bolts to the bell housing and the case. What would be best? I dont want to bust the tail housing on the tranny off.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    TH475,I'm not familiar with it but anyway auto trany's are usually alot lighter than the old cast manuals.My TH350 is only attached to the NP205 via the stock adaptor.The NP205 is fastened to the stock adapter and tied to the frame via the bracket you descibed.The 700R4 that's in my Blazer now has no added braceing either.
    I hpoe I understood your question properly /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

hmm, the 475 is a heavy duty 400 with strait cut planetary gears and some other HD goodies. I was just wondering if the bracket was required because the 73 up trucks didnt run them. So if they are not all that important I would save myself the hassel of trying to drill the holes in the frame

4. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

I don't think that they are manditory. I had a 72 gmc 4x4 and it didn't have the extra braket, maybe someone had already done a swap? anyway it worked fine with just the two main mounting points on the bottom of the 205.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I would use the later model support rods if you can find the parts. I have heard of automatic transmission cases cracking (breaking) when no support is used.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Glad to see someone using a real TH475 ! I will vote for the later model tranny brace/bar too. Frame flex will kill a tranny case with the T/C side torque mount .
    Just as a note - some 1973-1975's used this side torque mount also. Tom