Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer case support on '79 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gravdigr, Jul 6, 2003.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Transfer case support on \'79 K5

I am building a trail/dd rig and am fitting some parts from my retired 71 chevelle. I used the sb350 with just 10k miles on it, edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock performer 750cfm carb. My problem is the headers. In the chevelle my main problem was road clearence. I figured with 5" of suspension lift and 35" tires the problem would be solved but another cropped up...pipe clearence. I did a little massaging of the passenger side header with a torch and big C clamp and moved the header about an inch closer to the frame to clear the transfer case. Now I have this big metal bar in the way. It is a transfer case support that runs from the Tcase and bolts to the bellhousing using one of the bellhousing to motor bolts. Is this support necessary? I'm running an NP203 full time 4wd but have plans in the works to convert it to part time. Can I remove this support without causing problems? If not can I remove it and fabricate a support that bolts to the frame using bushings? I'm using Hooker full length headers and they performed great on the chevelle and since I already have em I would rather use em instead of having to buy a new set.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Re: Transfer case support on \'79 K5

You will want to keep that rod there, it costs me $201 to get towed home after last years UCP ride, I tore all 4 bolts out of the back of my 700r4 because I did not have the support rod. Do not put it on the frame, it will do more harm than good from the 2 different movements; one being the driveline and one being the frame.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Re: Transfer case support on \'79 K5

Hmm, well the rods gotts go somewhere...I'll have to see how else it can be modified.