Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Tailshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Oct 1, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I need a new one, and would like to have the shop put it in while it's there (for inspection/electrical work/brakes) my old tailshaft was bent pretty bad and causes real bad leaking out of the slip yoke and the vibes are unbearable, truck feels like it's about to break. where can i get one? what should i tell them to look up at the part store, what's the real name? it's a NP241 tailshaft.

funny how i just finished a tranny swap (auto-manual) yet i feel the need to take it to a shop to wire up taillights and windshield wipers and do my brakes

ok they're tuning the carb too. . . .and i've got to borrow some cats and mufflers to stick on there long enough to pass inspection. . .

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dude, I'd never take my truck anywhere to have some moron work on it.

3. BowtieRed

i know the guy, thanks, and he's really good. and whether or not you believe it, there are many good mechanics out there, better than you or me. some sucks, ok yeah, but many are very good, they are trained professionals, so i rather resent that seeing as it is a career i'm pursuing.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i resent it too...

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i know the guy, thanks, and he's really good. and whether or not you believe it, there are many good mechanics out there, better than you or me. some sucks, ok yeah, but many are very good, they are trained professionals, so i rather resent that seeing as it is a career i'm pursuing.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm with you on that, some are morons but you have to filter through and find a really good shop because there is some stuff that I can't do. I rebuilt and R&R'ed my new 406 but that is really pretty easy but stuff like setting up gears and automatic tranny rebuilding, I leave to the experts because of lack of experience and SPECIALTY TOOLS. Everything else is pretty cut and dry. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. BowtieRed

went today and talked to him- and i'm getting an old guy to rebuild my carb (what can i say? old people know carbs!) and i'm going ahead and he's gonna put me in some 4.88s out back to match my front finally.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont liek elctrical stuff either but will be learning it in school this year..brakes and stuff like that i wouldnt take my truck to shop for that stuff is to easy but t-case and tranny issuse stuff like that yea i would leave that for a pro myself...some people dont know when to give in and take it to a pro..thats when problems start! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Electrical is really easy, it's just frustrating at times to work on.