Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Trouble??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB2Blazer, Jan 7, 2005.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 K5 with a NP208 and it won't lock in 4 wheel hi I can pull it back into hi but it doesn't stay there the minute I take off it slides back forward. It will stay in 4 wheel low no problem. Whats the deal?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your range fork pads , or worse yet the fork is wore out . I let mine go too long and only got 4 low , had to drive home that way . Check the linkage first , then if it still does it you'll have to rebuild or replace , which is a piece of cake :k5: :k5:

3. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Which is cheaper/easer buying a new one or rebuilding the old one?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

go used

A good used case is easier to install,and MUCH cheaper than new or rebuilt--I found a spare NP208 for my 82 K20 for 30 bucks at a swap meet,junkyards had quite a few until the crushathon last month for 75-150 bucks--unless you pull and rebuild it yourself,you cant beat the price of a used case--but if you want it perfect,its gonna be costly to have a shop do it--the kits arent that costly,but labor is...I've never had one apart,but others here have,and said its not THAT hard to do,---I find it easier to just put another one in--it takes about an hour if your slow!--some guys can change them faster than a flat tire!:crazy:

5. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

also a worthy not sometimes a body lift make them do that i dont know if you have a body lift or not though

willow

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I did my 241 which is very much the same as a 208...piece of cake even if you count the learning curve...it's mostly all snap rings and patience...bearing kit, range fork, and chain for about $250 ($111, $58, $80)...if you buy used, you may be buying the same problem for about the same money as a rebuild (around here junkyards want $300) www.nationaldrivetrain.com

For an exploded view of the TC www.motivegear.com they are wholesale only, but I dug around and found the exploded view and parts list which was helpful in more ways than one

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy used unless I could get it for $30 or so or unless I had some great need for a 205

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 208. Talk to TIM member here. Tim's offroad. He got me a great deal on bearing kit and chain. the kit was backordered, but I was in no hurry for it. If you have some mech knowledge you should be able to do it yourself. IF your worried about screwing something up they sell videos for rebuilding them. I used that the first time I did one and I still look at it to refresh my memory. Good luck:)

8. BRIAN THOMAS

BRIAN THOMAS Registered Member

sorry neeed the post count so I can post pics. You would think 4 years on here would be good enough?